1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to install WM-150 belt?

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Boodokhan, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I have this WM-150 in almost mint condition but the belt is melted. Got the service manual but it doesn't show how to install it. I just guess it should be they I marked with purple line.
    Any recommendation? Is it correct?

IMG_1449.JPG IMG_0042.JPG

2. bub

bub Active Member

Yep!

Boodokhan likes this.
  3. Boodokhan

Thank you

4. Jordach

Jordach New Member

I had a WM-A602 that has the same -150 mechanism. Shame it's caps had gone bust.

5. bub

bub Active Member

Unlike the 150 there are way more caps on that model, an uncommon 330uf, and all are surface mount, and they leak, corroding the traces on the board. The 150 only has 2 electrolytic caps that are through hole, easy to replace, and I haven't seen a leaking one yet. Worse still, on my A602, a recapped unit doesn't sound as nice as the 150.
    Coupled with a mechanism that ages poorly, the 150 derivatives (except the 550C) are quite possibly some of the worst in terms of long term reliability.

6. Jordach

Jordach New Member

Shame - I liked the body design, I have a feeling the EX-49 suffers from the same problem in both caps and mechanism.

Might eventually pick up a WM-100 series as they look best.

Navpers likes this.
  7. bub

bub Active Member

Yes the EX49 suffers as well. I too like the design of this series of machines, that's why I try to repair them. WM-100 series have great mechanisms but the battery box is a weak spot.

8. Jordach

Jordach New Member

I have the battery box for early to late 90s Walkmen (that annoying screw in adapter) that's really hard to find. So finding a relative of the EX-150 line, who needs that battery box is fine by me.

I've seen a few EX-5s going for cheap. Might take one of those at some point.

9. bub

bub Active Member

EX-5s should be good. The 100 series does not use a screw on box (except for later revisions based on this mechanism), it uses a fragile clip on box.

10. mrn

mrn Member

... these machines are good-looking, but really hard to fix, if the clutch fails.
    just checked some 5 pieces of different type (150, 190, 603, ex50), and all seem to have the same clutch-problem:
    the tiny tooth-weel below the clutch just breaks [1], and lets the mechanism eat the tape.
    if it does not fail completely, then still, the tape-speed will fluctuate [2].
    wishing you good luck!

[1] http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/walkman-internal-photos.432/
    [2] http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/walkman-comparison-tape-speed-fluctuation.625/

11. bub

bub Active Member

12. Boodokhan

Hi Bub
    I read your topic about fixing the broken Clutch again and this time thoroughly since i have this issue with my Sony walkman 150. It doesn't work and constantly sound some noises of engaging some gears (probably broken) without actually playing cassettes.
    Thank you for your great topic. I will try to open my walkman someday to see whether or not I can fix it.

13. bub

bub Active Member

There's no easy fix, it seems. There's also the possibility of 1 more gear getting broken and causing tape eating on this mechanism with the disc type motor- The Fwd takeup reel gear is thinner than the Rev gear, splitting and jamming (and eating tapes). You can either drill and weld it back together but the best fix I've found (other than finding an intact gear) is to find a donor Rev gear, grinding the thickness down to fit under the ridge of the motor.