1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got the official Boombox from the movie "Say Anything"!! Sharp GF 7600

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by 2channelhero, Jun 24, 2017.

1. 2channelhero

2channelhero Active Member

No doubt in my mind, I have acquired THE actual model boombox from "Say Anything" where John Cusak holds this particular Sharp GF-7600 over his head playing Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" hoping to get his girl to come back to him.

I got everything to work on it, replaced the belts, and now I can pop in some Peter Gabriel too!

image.jpeg
    image.png
    image.png
    image.jpeg

2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

YAY, great score, congrats !

how do you know it's the one from the movie, not "only" same model ?

3. 2channelhero

Well I didn't say it was the actual prop from the movie, but it is THE same model that is in the movie. But for some reason on the movie cover, John is holding up a Toshiba 3 piece. They must not have had the Sharp on hand for the cover art shoot.

4. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

anyway, nice box - i have to get me the movie quickly :)

5. 2channelhero

Here is the cover art. NOT the same as in the movie. image.jpg

6. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Great score! It is well known that the boomboxes used in Say Anything are at least two, a Sharp and a Tosh.

It was a common thing back in the day. Boxes are props, scenes are shot in different moments, sometimes after months when the same prop may be temporarily unavailable. Hence the use of a similar one in the movie.

At that time, also, archives were not digital. This means that moving with ease in the big Hollywood deposits was out of question. You have to imagine a place as big as the one where they bury the ark in the final scene of Spielberg's Riders of the Lost Ark! Hence the Sharp and the Tosh ;)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    deech, 2channelhero and Radio Raheem like this.
  7. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

v8ismq.jpg
    Nice box mate, the only box i have that's official is the m90 from the first EVER sunshine mix 2008 on boomboxery, all the way from Florida usa

it was touch and go for a while as she was badly dameged in the post with large splits on the Motherboards causing the amps to short out and blow etc but she has been fully restored now and works perfect

anyway keep up the good work, this hobby is addictive and there really is no cure:wink2

pic from sunshine mix 2008 on boomboxery

8. 2channelhero

Yeah, I was geekin, out and watched the whole movie last night. The screenshots, I posted were the only scenes of that boombox and they were all the same Sharp GF-7600. Only the cover art had the cheapie Toshiba, which I had as a kid and dropped, causing the speaker to never go on again! Haha

The Sharp is a one piece, btw. I'm surprised, during the cover photo shoot, that the mid section of the toshiba didn't drop onto John Cusak's head!