1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this worth repairing?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Command8, Dec 8, 2016.

?

how should I manage my time of 2 days

Poll closed Dec 14, 2016.
  1. fix the Phillip

100.0%
  2. spend time looking for 2nd hand walkman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. give up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. you are screwed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have a better idea ...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Hello, while I was digging through my grandfather's attic in search of a walkman I found this Phillips automation cassette recorder n2206 in pristine condition. I tested it and I think the belt needs replacing. Should I spend my time fixing it or rather spend my limited time (2 days) on finding and/or buying used walkman? My budget is 250-350 euros and I'm in the vale de loir region also I don't have a car. I'm looking for a d6c or dd9, if needed I'll order replacement belts and other parts. image%3A104759.jpg image%3A104758.jpg

2. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

It's hard to suggest what to do. Only you can decide which are your priorities. On principle, most people on this forum tend to save vintage audio from oblivion. What is worth saving is highly subjective. I would probably treasure something that belonged to my father -- unless I had a seriously unresolved Oedipus conflict with him ;)

The Walkmans you're after are sought after and expensive, belong in a different kind of portable audio than the Philips and are usually not found in two days (why 2 days only, btw?)

3. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Italian education is not the best in terms of holidays. The opposite of the British. I only get 2 weeks for chrismas and my summer is three months but only end of july, august and september ...:mad:
    Anyways i decidee ill bring the Phillip with me to my appartement to fix it there since i have alot of small size screwdrivers. I spent the morning listening to all the cassettes i could find using their deck. At least I'll save over 12 cassettes with me + 1 type IV sony Metal XR(recorded on once) metal tape and 1 Chrome Maxima II tape.
    I still have tomorrow to find stuff but transport will be a problem... there goes my dream of making a voltron Super D6C walkman(http://walkman-archive.com/articles/upgraded_super-d6c.html).

Does Dottore Walkman sell walkmans? Im hoping he's based in Milan...

4. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Love those old forerunners of the portable stereo :)

I would definitely repair it, these are very simple machines & easy to fix!

5. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Ok guys, here's an update. After searching and asking around I found 2 walkmans. One is a lazer BLR 92 SP which is completely dead. I'll try to salvage the belt and other parts from it. The other one is a Thomson tk 150 in working order without a scratch. I listened to it and it appears that tapes are playing slower on it so I'm assuming the belt is dying, I'll try to substitute the belt with the one from the lazer.

6. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I'm back home, here's everything. I'm going to attempt to open walkmans now, I have no past experience doing this. If anyone has any tips or guidance it would be highly appreciated. image%3A105733.jpg
    I'm also kind of stuck on how to repair the slow tape issue please have a look

7. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Ok after fiddling around with it I found out about the speed adjustment trick, and fixed it :banana::headbang:
    Also I opened the phillip and ordered a replacement belt, would it be safe to clean the phillip with water? Also after digging on ebay I found a goldmine, an affordable working Aiwa hs-pc202mii. I will make another thread when all the things i ordered arrive.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

9. Command8

Command8 Active Member

would it be alright for me to submerge everything in water and let it dry for couple days?

10. Longman

Definitely not. As I said above some parts like the speaker are made of paper and have internal cavities that would take weeks to dry out. You would be O.K washing the case if you took the electronics speaker etc out.

I think we need a thread on best cleaning techniques. In the meantime here is a link to one of my all time favourite Youtube videos. Not a boombox, but it is on the subject of cleaning and the music is beautiful.

11. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I was cleaning the gears of the N2206 and for some reason the mechanical controls stiffen, before when it was dirty it didn't stiffen. I thought it might need a cassette but no, now when i put in a cassette the only button that doesn't stiffen as much is the record key, does this have anything to due with me cleaning out the weird gunk that i found on a couple of the moving parts? if so what should/can i do to fix it?

Edit: after fiddling around with the philips i fixed the mechanical issue, every key are connected to drawback system which is activated by the stop button, the drawback was stuck in its motion.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  12. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Wow!

The drive belt is really stretched on that Walkman :(

Replace it before you mess with electronic speed adjustment pots!! :eek::eek:

13. Command8

Command8 Active Member

i already messed with the electronic speed adjustment, I can't find the belt on ebay

14. Longman

15. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Huh... real shame, I'm out of funds :(. I'm still a freshman. Anyways the Aiwa is coming tomorrow I'll upload pictures.
    [:reelspin::reelspin:

16. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Good news and bad news everyone,
    Good news: using a rubber band as an interim substitute works.

Bad news: there is something wrong with the audio output, I'm not sure what the issue is but I think it is related to the electronics.

17. Longman

Watch your fingers when operating from the mains with the back off !!!!
    I have seen lots of boxes that age where the mains is un-insulated inside.
    For that reason I always recommend using batteries if possible when poking
    around inside equipment.

First guesses at your problem in order of likelihood would be:

1. A dirty volume control (sliders are prone to that). Switch cleaner or, although not ideal WD40 sprayed inside might help.
    2. Dirty earphone socket
    3. Dry joints or a cracked PCB track on either of those components as they can get mechanically strained when used.
    I have no idea if you have any soldering skills or tools. If you are at college or university you might find someone there who can help you out.

18. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

have to disagree on one point, do not use wd40 to fix volume pots as it can destroy the carbon, use service spray as recomended, been there done that, good luck

nickeccles likes this.
  19. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Once class is over I will go buy batteries. When I was swabing the volume switch with alcohol soaked q-tip I found no dirt or dust.
    On the PCB there are a couple of exposed places but I've covered them with tape. I don't know where I'll find service spray

20. Command8

Command8 Active Member

More bad news, for some reason tapes played in the philips tangle themselves in the pressure roller, does anyone know how i can fix this?