1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JORDACHE GOLD WALKMAN early 80's PROMOTIONAL rarity

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by JohnEdward, Dec 6, 2016.

1. JohnEdward

JohnEdward Member Staff Member

Originally posted by John Edward.

Here is a lucky find in excellent cosmetic condition and works perfectly. The sound is actually very good for this era early big brick 3 AA battery machine. OF rare note is the GOLD switches, vol and tuning knobs and defining this very early 80's era is the twin headphone jacks and balance rotary knob. The cassette controls are in shiny gold plate. Making this even more unique is the very LONG extending antenna that is unbent AND WAIT A SPEAKER on the back that cuts out when headphone plugged in. The capstans are quality bronze it appears with quality bearings and head mechanism unusual for this off brand Walkman.
    CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY WHO JORDACHE contracted to build this and put the Jordache name on it?
    It certainly appears to be a better quality player if it is a clone .

JORDACHE Series 120 GOLD WALKMAN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2016
  2. JohnEdward

3. JohnEdward

QUALITY MECHANICALS

2zpo1ue.jpg

BRAGGING RIGHTS MY JORDACHE STICHED POCKET JEANS FROM 1976 First year of COLLEGE size 31 and YES I AM WEARING THEM still at AGE 52 !!! HOW cool era right clothing and walkman !!

30w6pvm.jpg

21b59ts.jpg

4. JAMESCYBERJOE

JAMESCYBERJOE Member

Wow that's a beauty. You can easily find the manufacturer name by going to the FCC ID search page. There in the search field enter the FCC number that is on the nameplate. I tried to do it but the image is not clear as I can't make out several digits. Chances are this was made by a contract manufacturer in Hong Kong that has long since gone out of business. There used to be many of them. I had the same unit, in gold as well but it said "Nikko" on it and it was made in Korea. But it looked identical to this one. So it probably was made to the same specs. Was a nice player and I literally wore it out. What I ultimately did with it is long forgotten.

5. matt

matt Member

Nikko that's odd, they were Japanese and made some highly respectable HiFi stereo units during the 70's-80's

6. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

John Edward...Staff Member.

Classy move gents. A fitting tribute to the man who gave us so much.
    Cheers,

Radio Raheem likes this.
  7. JAMESCYBERJOE

JAMESCYBERJOE Member

Yes it was. The brand was Nikko. But it was a Korean knockoff. The real Nikko never made portable equipment as far as I know. GREAT amplifiers.

8. matt

matt Member

Perhaps they payed enough to have their name put on a selection of some Korean portables? Or was it another kind of logo?
    I don't know, just more or less qualified guessing.

9. JAMESCYBERJOE

JAMESCYBERJOE Member

That's a possibility. If I had it still I would post a picture of it but I threw it out years ago. I bought it at a flea market when I was around 16 or so. Either 1981 or 1982.
    Anyways, my friend had received for his birthday a Sony Walkman. The original model. When I heard how it sounded I was amazed. I had to have one. The local Stereo shop was selling them for $150 if I remember correctly but they wouldn't hold one for me until I had enough money. So one day I'm at this huge open air market, and there was this guy there that sold ALL kinds of stereo equipment. But it was all Korean off brands. Names like "Zony" or my favorite "Kemwood". I bought my "Nikko" for a total of $65.oo new. It worked very well but the tape player ate the batteries. My budget was limited and Radio Shack had batteries I could afford but they didn't last. Batteries then were not as good as they are now.

The guy claimed that if you bought a certain quantity they would put any name you wanted on it. But you had to buy like a gross (144 pcs) minimum. So I highly doubt the real Nikko company made it. It may have been a generic player but it worked good. Pulled in FM very well. The tape player was direct drive with this big motor. For a knockoff it held it's own.

10. matt

matt Member

Lol what a story, Kemwood!! awesome
    I remember myself some ugly low budget Sony copies named Peony, Sanoy and Sankyo, all of them supposed to be the same crap but Sankyo surprised and soon became quite respectable making quality hifi.
    Some of their products had similar looks of early NAD products. I guess they became involved in producing them.

11. JAMESCYBERJOE

JAMESCYBERJOE Member

Thanks. My GF loves it when I tell her all these "weird" stories as she calls them.

matt likes this.