1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laskys Ad Flyer July 1984

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Sebastian Sekinger, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Sebastian Sekinger

Sebastian Sekinger Active Member

2. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Are the prices in red trade one's ? :lollegs:

Sebastian Sekinger likes this.
  3. Sebastian Sekinger

Sebastian Sekinger Active Member

They should be!!:biggrin:

4. Chris

Chris Active Member

£799 for a computer with 64k RAM and an amazing 16 colours! Wow, might have to buy one.

5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Of all the items there it might be the only one that hasn't depreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commodore...588780?hash=item3f7b6b992c:g:T8QAAOSwhvFZB4is

The £349 Fisher VHS was down to £299 by 27th December. The only problem was that when I got there at 11:00am they had sold out !
    I ended up buying a Mitsubishi HS700B from Rumbelows for £340.

Two more funny stories about Laskys.

More Dad and sister once came back from town to say there were some blokes outside marching around a dead amplifier on the pavement with placards and chanting "Don't buy from Lousy Laskys" ! I guess they weren't that happy with the customer service.
    :protest::protest::protest:

My boss at the time decided to buy a TV with Teletext - remember that if you are in Europe. If you are in the US read about it here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletext
    Before the days of ipads etc I was completely addicted to it for things like news, stock tips etc.

When they brought a boxed TV from the stockroom he was surprised that there was an additional small cardboard box. When he asked what it was he was informed "That's your Teletext board. In a couple of weeks time an engineer will contact you to arrange to come and fit it. Needless to say he changed his mind about that TV and chose one which came with the Teletext factory installed.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Chris likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Active Member

I remember teletext, my mum + dad's old widescreen (and wide backside) TV had it, I used it to look at the weather before I went to school.

I never had the pleasure of going to Laskys for obvious reasons, but I do have a Sony TPS-L2 which came with original receipt stating that it had been purchased there. If I had of had the chance to go there, I would probably have kept buying their entire supply of walkmans.

Longman likes this.
  7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

During the 1980s they used to publish the UK Top 40 singles chart on a Tuesday and put it on Teletext. Then on Sunday early evening they would play it on Radio 1. It even got allocated the shared Radio 1 / 2 FM frequency rather than the usual mono AM.

On Sunday afternoon I would check out the chart and note the positions of my favourites so I didn't have to sit through the full two hours and could be there with my fingers on Play and Record at the strategic times. Of course it didn't help if the DJ talked over the start or end of the track or they didn't play the track you wanted as it was a big faller.

I still have about twenty tapes in the loft back from those days.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  8. Chris

Chris Active Member

It's great that we have things like Spotify and iTunes now. I use Spotify to make playlists that I later record onto cassettes, I think it's a great combination of old and new media.

I watch 'Top Of The Pops' on BBC Four every friday, it's interesting to see when the music I like was in the charts.