1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz PMD430

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Boodokhan, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

This is my recent found
    A brand new and restored Marantz PMD430

IMG_0045.JPG IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0046.JPG

2. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Woww! That looks so great, a brand new and boxed unit! :shock
    Many congrats for that. The 430 is a great deck and I had lots of good time with it. That was my first 3-head deck and with it I learn how to use bias a calibration. You will be surprised of how good does it sound.
    PS: The headphone jack sounds bad, with lots of noise, it's much better to connect a headphone amp like the JDS Labs Cmoy to the line out and then headphones to the CMoy.

3. Boodokhan

Thanks Hugo.
    It is indeed a great deck except the quality of internal speaker is not good and it is better to be connected to amp and speakers.
    I haven't used headphone with this deck yet but i will follow your recommendation. Thanks

4. superlew

superlew Member

Helluva machine - I love it! :thumbsup:

Edit: I had to take a second look. 3-head, DBX, bias adjustment, tape speed - I mean, c'mon man - I can barely handle it! :eyepopping: :crazy

Boodokhan likes this.
  5. walkman archive

The internal speaker is almost a crap, like most of internal ones; it's just for monitoring but not for listening. You must use the line out connected to a pair of good headphones (preferably full-sized, like the DT990) or good speakers...

6. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Rare in that condition :wink:

Love those machines!

7. Michael

Michael New Member

It's in an excellent condition! Tried bidding on a good condition one but so far no luck! Any feedback on the recording from vinyl or other deck? I am thinking of getting one to record vinyls into and then to purchase some old Walkman to bring back the good old memories!

Michael

8. walkman archive

Have you tried to record & play on it?

9. Boodokhan

Not yet. All my recording done on D6C.
    But I am going to try this one next week and if I find it good will exchange some mix tape with members :thumbup:

walkman archive likes this.
  10. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

A Nice buy indeed! Enjoy!!!

Boodokhan likes this.
  11. walkman archive

I've been testing it against the SONY TC-D5M and I can say both do sound really well. Compared to my best decks, they lack some clarity in the treble, but if paired with bright headphones like Grado, they sound pretty well.
    The 430 has a powerful -slighty enhanced- bass that fits very well with digital recordings. However, the bass is a bit 'blurry' and dispersed, and the D5M controls it better.
    I'm talking about high-end listening with very high quality source and recording and hi-end headphones. This probably can't be heard with normal headphones, with which you simply feel that it sounds awesome.

12. Boodokhan

Thanks Hugo
    Your comments always help me to do better recording

13. walkman archive

I'm glad I helped you :thumbsup:

Boodokhan likes this.
  14. kitchen10

kitchen10 Active Member

Lovely deck, I've been thinking about buying one of these luggable recorders so that I can take a decent deck with me to university in September. Any suggestions as to the best bang for buck deck in this category?

Henry

15. walkman archive

I think the Marantz is the best bang for buck out there. It's the most feature packed in this small cathegory, where I can only think on it and the SONY D5.
    The 3-head, bias knob and dolby & dbx is unbeatable.

kitchen10 likes this.
  16. walkman archive

Hey Boodo, any news?

17. Boodokhan

I did 2 different recordings : 1st one on a TDK D-60 cassette and the 2nd recording done on a Sony UX-PRO

The source for both recording was the music tracks from my iTunes Library. Audeze DAC was used for both recordings
    Then i listened to both cassettes using a DC2, On both recordings TDK D-60 and UX-PRO the quality was really good. I found out myself that the recording on UX-PRO was slightly better so i asked my cousin without telling him about the cassette types to listen to both of the recordings. Interestingly my cousin couldn't found any significant difference between 2 cassettes.

any Advise?

When i compare my first recording experience Marantz PMD-430 to my D6C, I can tell that Marantz recording quality is better. This might be due to the fact that my Marantz is new and calibrated to factory setting by a professional and sounds and records very well but my D6C has been playing for more than a year and probably needs some service.

My next experiment will be recording from Vinyl to cassette to see whether or not i can find significant difference betwen a basic TDK cassette and a Sony UX-Pro

18. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Booodokhan ... that is good news ! You don't to have buy metal tapes anymore ! :)

Boodokhan likes this.
  19. walkman archive

Very interesting.
    Yes, the difference between a simple D and an UX-Pro isn't night and day, but indeed there is. It's more about micro details, noise and smoothness.
    What I'm asking myself is if you did properly calibrated them with the bias. I guess you did, because if not they would sound very different.
    Vinyl is very dependent on the whole setup: cartridge, disc, cleaning, preamp...
    The better gear you have, the better it will sound.

20. Boodokhan

Hugo I need to learn a lot in order to do a good recording. For now am getting more experience. What i need to have is a fully serviced / overhauled Nakamichi CR-7A because it has automatic record alignment. I am on the waiting list for this amazing deck