1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxell UDS-II 90

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by Ω SK-95, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Ω SK-95

Ω SK-95 Active Member

Just got these beauties in today!! I'm loving these!

Can anyone tell me about some of the differences in quality with these Maxell tapes?
    These UDS-II90, the XLII90, and the UDII90's?

IMG_4292.JPG IMG_4293.JPG

Brutus442 likes this.
  2. Erniejade

Erniejade Member

I am trying to remember but, I thought the XL was a better quality and cost more back in the day. I also could have sworn they had a UDXL II that was better then both but again, cost more.

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  3. Ω SK-95

Ω SK-95 Active Member

Hey Erniejade... thanks for your reply. In any case and either way, these were some of the nicest looking tapes Maxell ever put out!

Erniejade likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Just going by personal experience, the XL II's are some of the best tapes out there. I bet if I pull some Van Halen or Def Leppard copies from 82 they will still sound great even after sitting in unheated storage for 30+ years. They really put the magic dust in that formulation that I don't find with some of the other tapes.

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  5. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

I agree. I always fancied Maxell XL II's. Here's in Canada, our temps vary considerably and my Maxells always handle the extremes and never wavered. I can't say the same for my Sony tapes though

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  6. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure but AFAIK the UD was the first 'high performance' tape from Maxell (I think they released it to compete with the TDK SA). Then came the UD-II and finally it was replaced by the XL-II.

Ω SK-95 and Brutus442 like this.
  7. Brutus442

Could be Hugo. I remember they advertised the hell out of it over here. Commercials on TV and posters everywhere. I don't recall that intense advertising from any other manufacturer here in Canada.

Maybe Fuji:hmmm

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  8. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

In my country there was very few advertising about that. At least I don't remember it... :nonoplease

Ω SK-95 likes this.
  9. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Two of the most memorable cassette adverts ever

There were also double page print versions of the Maxell guy and his three ornamental ducks getting blown away.
    One of my colleagues back then (who incidentally was picked to be in the Thomas Cook Twenties brochure), often looked as if he had come straight from this advert.

Update -I have just found this history of the advert, and all the spoofs that were inspired by it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Ω SK-95 and Brutus442 like this.
  10. Brutus442

The blown away guy was a standard around here. T-shirts, magazines you name it...it was on there!

11. Ω SK-95

Ω SK-95 Active Member

I do remember the guy sitting in the chair being blown away by the power of the Maxell tape! CAN ANYONE FIND ME A TIME MACHINE? Build it, and they will come!

I'm currently after two tapes and I'm having a hard time finding them new or used: a Chrome tape by XHE -II 90 (Made in Portugal!!) and Yamaha chrome tapes, the CR-X90 (showing the 60minutes). I'll gladly trade some of my tapes for some of these. I'll repost my tape inventory.

See below:
    XHE back.jpg XHE front.jpg yamaha-cr-x.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Brutus442 likes this.