1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MEMBERS IN AMERICA: Do You Pay Import Duties On Boomboxes You Order Online?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Easthelp, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

Hello, people. I recently placed an order for a Sharp GF-800 on eBay from a seller in The Ukraine. I paid nearly US$200 and about $125 in shipping costs to the seller via PayPal. Based partly on the responses to a long message that I left in the Community area of eBay (community.eBay.com; about a Sony minisystem in Mexico that I ended up not buying), I'm now worried. I'm wondering about my ability to receive that item here at my home in Jacksonville, Florida. Will I have to pay any import duties (import fees) or processing fees to the U.S. Customs And Border Protection (U.S. CBP)? The long-scrolling "Internet Purchases" webpage of the CBP (accessed on the website www.cbp.gov) states in part:

If any duty is owed, CBP will charge a processing fee for clearing your package. Duty and the processing fee are usually paid at your local post office, where your package is forwarded.

I'm very short on cash. Please tell me, have any Stateside Stereo2Go members -- those living here in the United States -- had to pay import fees, at the post office or elsewhere, on any of those intriguing or amazing boomboxes that you have ordered from abroad and, at times, from other Stereo2Go members or from BoomBoxery members? Thanks!

2. Jvc floyd

Jvc floyd Member

I have never had to pay any import duties or taxes on anything I've ordered from overseas at least that's what part of our tax dollars go so we don't have to pay those things as far as I know all of those are paid by the sender.

retro likes this.
  3. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Iv never heard of americans paying anything for anything lol so yup im with Floyd

hate to be the bearer of bad news but the gf 800, well those speakers are not real square speakers, there actually round under the cloth, hope you like her tho easthelp:wink:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  4. Jvc floyd

Jvc floyd Member

As far as I know the only import fees there are in America only exist for automobiles and super luxury items and boats the average American can order anything from any country and it will come straight to your door with no import fees or taxes due .

5. Radio Raheem

i have a couple of boats stashed under my slacks floyd, want one lol:wink:

6. Jvc floyd

Jvc floyd Member

Nope I already have a dingy lol.

7. Radio Raheem

yes but these come with girls, the loving kind hahha

8. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

Ah, fun talk. But thanks for weighing in with your experience -- or with other boomboxers' experience -- in ordering vintage stereos from overseas while in America, you guys. And, yes, our Radio Raheem would do that. He would add to my cause to sigh and sulk with this idea that the woofers behind the GF-800's fabric are just noisy ol' nostrils ...

9. Radio Raheem

from what i hear it's quite good easthelp, i just thought you should know lad. it will blow away the aiwa 600 for example:wink:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  10. Patron

Patron Active Member

Never paid any taxes , the sound of the 800 it's good, loud and clear.

11. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

Thanks for your reply, Patron. My GF-800H(S) arrived here at our home on Tuesday, February 7, 2017. It was quite a job to unwrap it from all that shrink-wrap (or Saran Wrap or whatever that clear, half-slippery, sheet-like stuff is) and to deal with all that crumbly Styrofoam. However, from what I've experienced of this big, fancy, dual-cassette-deck stereo so far, it seems worth it (except for that noisy Tchaikovsky audiocassette that I very lengthily post about on the "Cassettes" sub-forum) ...