1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mesmerizing Mechanical Marvel of Magnetic Media aka R2R

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by Transistorized, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Transistorized

Transistorized Active Member

2 Years ago I had the privilege of replacing the capstan belt on my Teac X7. The hubs are direct drive so only one belt with no idler tires or pulleys. A truly fantastic R2R machine. I fire it up at least every two weeks to eliminate flat spots on my new belt.

Ever since I was 2 years old, I remembered falling asleep to the motion of two rotating massive 10 inch reels slowly making their way around while listening to the music and watching the dual VU meters sway back and forth at my uncles house. I used to try and determine the exact time the tape was even...meaning the two reels were traveling at the exact same speed. Then....slowly the take up reel would slow while the supply started moving faster.

We here on stereo2go have the ultimate privilege in knowing that we were all a part of analog at it's finest. The modern day electronics lose their luster when it comes to that mesmerizing mechanical magnetic marvel of media known as the Reel to Reel. Much like Jukeboxes, part of the entertainment was the machine itself...not just the music.

Here is a snippet of my Teac R2R for its bi-weekly workout. My monitors are Teac LS-H265. Together they create a warm bass response with smooth highs. What a wonderful way to spend the evening and give the portables a rest [​IMG]

As always click No Thanks Continue to video link if the sign in or create a dropbox account dialog pops up on you. Link Below to view on my Dropbox account:

https://www.dropbox....221946.mp4?dl=0

thid likes this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Beautiful, absolutely gorgeous condition and yes mesmerising to watch. Makes me want a r2r of my own!

Transistorized likes this.
  3. Transistorized

Transistorized Active Member

You won't be disappointed.