1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Micro-cassette Boomboxes

Discussion in 'Portable Stereos of Today & Tomorrow' started by Gibraltar, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

I was browsing Yahoo today and found this guy that's selling a bunch of NOS micro-cassette boomboxes. Thought you guys might like these :)

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/sherrys_r5?ei=UTF-8&sid=sherrys_r5&auccat=23764

Highlights include:

A Sanyo with a removable micro cassette recorder:
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w207733152

Aiwa and Sanyo dual deck with one normal and one micro-cassette!
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f245037853
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w207733748

I had no idea micro-cassette was ever used for something other than voice recording. Seems at one point people thought it might replace compact cassettes! The green sticker on the front of the Aiwa translates to "Double Cassette for a New Era"

dlt likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I was just checking out the bay for those, nothing listed (as usual), they have a lot of good stuff over there on Yahoo.jp, I might have to try a transaction one of these days.

3. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

I think this seller is bidding up the prices himself though... These are going for crazy money, all with the same ID coming in second place...

4. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Wo, i’ve never seen such boxes like these :shock
    I bet @Techmoan will like them...

5. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

i once gave a micro-cassette stereo boombox from MINERVA to AO while he was still in austria. i know he used to have one from SANYO and a friend of mine got one from JVC.
    i also had a microcassette mono boomer from GRUNDIG, in fact it was the same as the MINERVA, just mono (one speaker). this one went ages ago to good old JOE COOL from canada (...anybody remembers hm ? i've got the feeling he's kicked the bucket in the meantime, as i used to have regular contact, know he was quite sick and all contacts stopped from one day to another and all his email-adresses disappeared :shrug:. well, if you're on the other side: say hi to LIT & JE !

right now awaiting a FISHER microcassette boombox with detachable player - what can i say: can't wait !

6. autoreverser

ha !

arrived today:

IMG_3783.JPG IMG_3784.JPG IMG_3786.JPG

gosh, where's all my bloody micro-cassettes...

...almost (only almost !) beats my fav. UNISEF ;-)

7. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Member

That Fischer looks exactly like the Sanyo on Yahoo! Must have been contacted from the same manufacturer.

Also that's an awesome table for displaying your walkmans!

8. autoreverser

thx, Gib :thumbsup:

9. Mister X

Yes, Fisher Microcassette Love! I got mine a few months ago, it's a very awesome package. Fisher USA was mostly known for junk all-in-one systems during the 80's, although in the 50's-60's they had some killer tube gear. The boomboxes were totally different, fairly high-end and they weren't afraid to be on the front lines with the technology that was hoping to overtake regular cassettes.

10. Walkgirl

Walkgirl Member

MMm I wanted to share my photobucket pics but them tartheads blocked it or something they want cash now well #%%$$ them :biggrin:

11. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Can you still see them? If so pull them back to your own device and then post them here using "upload a file".
    I won't try giving instructions without knowing what device you are using.

I haven't used Photobucket since Ebay stopped charging for more than two photos.
    The pictures of stuff I sold ten years ago are all still on there now only viewable by myself.

Walkgirl likes this.
  12. Walkgirl

Walkgirl Member

These days people cannot download their own pictures!!, must find a way to get them and then delete the account there:hissyfit:

13. Longman

Have you logged into Photobucket so it knows it is you ?

Can you even see them ? If you can the last resort is a screenshot (Alt Printscreen on Windows).

Maybe a silly question but don't you have the originals anywhere ?
    I was looking through my Ebay folder for the picture of the Philips CDi I posted recently and found a picture of a Boombox I completely forgot owning !

Back to Photobucket, the irony is that I started using that after AOL pictures shut down and transfered my pictures to some other site that didn't allow picture sharing.
    Many parts of the internet seem to be very transientary and not suitable for long term storage, especially anything that claims to be free.
    A couple of weeks ago I spent hours looking for great site about Philips TVs that had completely disappeared.
    With a site about Grundig radios I found an archive of the site with a note that they were moving to a new domain that had disappeared completely.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  14. Mister X

Walkgirl, you must have missed the great forum disaster, when photobucket changed to a pay service, they locked millions of accounts up and broke the links to forums. Forums that had step-by-step instructions on fixing things were instantly neutered. Sometimes the photos are still on the internet archive machine or even google will have them if you search for the right webpage and click "images" at the top.

https://archive.org/web/

Walkgirl likes this.
  15. Mister X

Since this thread popped up again, autoreverser can you post more on the Unisef? I thought they were a mail order brand but that unit is pretty cool, it looks like normal cassette but is it microcassette?

16. autoreverser

nah, it's standard cassette - i will post more pics when i'm back home later

17. Longman

Apart from in pictures, the only Unisef I have ever seen was a Shoebox type cassette recorder a schoolfriend got back in about1975, before I got my Amerex. Both are brands that you think " whatever happened to them".

18. autoreverser

i have to check out shelves, there's a few UNISEF there, gimme some time ;-)

19. autoreverser

here some quick pics - i know, have to clean it :fisch

IMG_4217.jpg IMG_4218.jpg IMG_4219.jpg
    IMG_4220.jpg

SantiOriginal, Longman and Mister X like this.
  20. Mister X

Super cute dog! Thanks for the photos, cool little unit, it has it's own unique style.

autoreverser likes this.