1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster Sansui CP-99W

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Mister X, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Just got another Sansui, one of my favorite brands from back in the old days, this one is the awe-inducing CP-99W. Yes my three-piece bender is continuing so I put it in front of the wall of fame. Big and heavy, it was advertised as working somewhat, unfortunately it needs a little love when I have the time. These are fairly rare to find and I was happy to snag this one to add to the collection. Very similar to the JVC PC-55 I recently posted, these guys will get along great together and I'm excited to see how they do head to head.

DSCN2191sm.jpg

2. Patron

Patron Active Member

Congrats, It looks massive !! Must have been expensive when new.

3. A O

A O Active Member

That has design features borrowed from everywhere. Aiwa logic controls, Sony speakers and as you say, JVC layout. You don't see many of these around.

4. Mister X

Sansui has always boggled me, I wonder if they bought from the other guys to build these. According to the VintageKnob they used a lot of sourced components to build their reel to reels but provided the audio section so they have a history of sourcing. The boomboxes and personal cassette players seem to an afterthought for them but that was around the time the quality of the main line audio components really started taking a nose-dive. If anything the boomboxes are fairly unique in character but the personal cassette players seem to be mostly crap.

5. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Just saw this.....very nice, it was on the top of the heap above the CP-55 and CP-77. According to the service manual, it produced an FTC minimum of 15 watts per channel into 8 ohms from 90 to 15,000 Hz at 10% THD. And that's only the minimum.....the maximum point ("RMS Max") will occur somewhere within those frequencies and I'm guessing is probably 20 watts per channel or so

Most other boombox brands say things like "Music Power" or "PMPO" which are very inflated compared to FTC data.

6. Mister X

That was a nice little find over the purple haze of winter up here in the great white north (we still have snow in the yard but it's 70 degrees F). It's currently sitting on top of a Yamaha PC-8 which is almost identical in size. I haven't opened it up yet to check it out but it sounds like it's pretty respectable.

There's some other boxes on top of it and I don't want to move anything but I'm wondering if this is any relation to Marantz like the Bustang and the Sansui FX-700R.

7. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

I suspect it was made by someone like Aiwa or Panasonic. I don't think Marantz would do it, they were too small to devote much time to a box they couldn't put their own name on.