1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Microphone Misadventure

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by Easthelp, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

Early in March 2017, I ordered the Ohuhu USB Studio Condenser Microphone (sold on Amazon for about $15). Several weeks earlier, I had seen what seems to be the same microphone -- certainly looking alike -- on BangGood.com for a good deal more money. I tried and failed to order the item on that other website. It's the reason why I posted a message here asking for help with identifying prepaid VISA and/or MasterCard services that can be purchased here in the United States and be used internationally, something my prepaid VISA cards can't do. (And, yes, I was drawn to that microphone by the goldtone steel mesh that makes the microphone look so, well, dignified.)

Anyway, I dubiously got my chance to order the microphone after I tracked down the U.S.-sold version of it on Amazon. I received the item on Friday, March 10, 2017, along with a decidedly cheaper and much smaller electronics accessory: a Damomon 3.5mm 1-female-to-2-male Y-adapter. Here's an image of the opened-up product box, with its leaflet and the adapter alongside it:

SECOND MARCH 11, 2017 PHOTOGRAPH OF THE MARCH 4, 2017  AUDIO-PRODUCTS ORDER FROM AMAZON.jpg

The Damomon splitter seems to work just fine with the Sharp GF-800’s twin microphone ports. I tested it with the RadioShack unidirectional microphone that I first tested the Sharp with after its arrival here in our home.

The fancy Ohuhu unit? Not so much. In fact, not at all.

It was like I just took those promisingly substantial-feeling parts out of the box, put them together and left the thing, stylin’ and profilin’, on the desk with the GF-800. I couldn’t get the dratted thing to come on at all when I plugged it into either of the microphone ports.

No better luck when I tried using the fancy studio microphone with our aging Dell laptop on Saturday afternoon. The USB-like sound card – or whatever it is – that the Ohuhu comes with eventually came on, glowing red when I tried installing its software onto the Dell’s hard drive. But nothing beyond that. (Why? Laptop too old? Not top-of-the-line? Too many malware attacks over the years?)

It really looks like I bit off more than I can chew in going for this fancy-looking, substantial-feeling, tripod-sporting paperweight. Not sure if Amazon – or Ohuhu Direct, the product’s seller on Amazon – will issue me a refund. I’m thinking of going for a simple, no-tripod unidirectional unit or something ...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017