1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My music database so far

Discussion in 'Music: Albums, cassettes, new releases...' started by TooCooL4, Dec 17, 2016.

1. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Still entering all my physical music media into my database, really enjoying re-discovering some of the music I have not played in a while. Was just enjoying playing Caron Wheeler – UK Black forgot how good this album is. For those of you who don’t know who Caron Wheeler is, she is the singer out of Soul II Soul.

I have been entering my music into the database every night for the last 6 weeks, here is what I have done so far. Once all the vinyl is done then to the tapes, that’s when all my embarrassing stuff will come out as I have been buying tapes since I was a teenager and we all know teenagers don’t have the best of tastes. :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Ken80s likes this.
  2. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

May I know is there a way to convert analog music to FLAC format?

3. TooCooL4

There are lot’s of software out there to help you do this. You can try a free software called Audacity.
    You need to get the sound from your record player through your amp to your sound card on your computer, then you can record it.

4. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Thank you TooCool, will give it a try.

5. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I'd suggest dbpoweramp. Free and very effective for dozens of files, folders.

6. walkman archive

Sorry, Dbpoweramp is only for converting digital files. Audacity is good for A/D. If you have a creative sound card it might have a tool for that.

7. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Thanks Hugo. Have you ever compare the sound after converted to FLAC? Do you observe any difference with the source from analog?

8. walkman archive

Yes I did. When you convert a good analog source to digital, it sounds well, but it looses some "life". The drums looses punch and the overall result is a bit dull and naroow sounding compared to the source.
    Even using pro audio interface like my AKAI EIE Pro to capture to Adobe Audition and then playing from a high end DAC like the ARCAM irDAC.
    But if I compare the sound from a mint vinyl with my gear and the corresponding album in CD, the differences are usually bigger. The cd sounds much narrower and metallic. The vinyl directly or being recorded on a cassette sounds much better.
    With a very good deck you can do 1:1 recordings on good cassettes, but that's not easy with digital. At least I couldn't do with my 800€ Digital gear...

9. TooCooL4

MART - GF9292 likes this.