1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new first deck, a Pioneer CT-S99R

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Command8, Apr 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Command8

Command8 Member

I finally caved in an bought a deck this afternoon while thrift store hunting, a Pioneer CT-S99R for 25 Euros.
    The machine was "broken" and had a broken rca male plug sticking in the back, all i had to do was replace the fuse.... 25 euros for a dbx, NR b & C, cassette deck.
    IMG_20170430_015713c.jpg IMG_20170430_015720c.jpg IMG_20170430_015740.jpg
    Anyways I opened her up, and took a look around. I was able to clean a couple sections here and there using 90+ alcohol and q-tips, but I can't really take care of the electronics, I don't know how to. What tips/advice can you give to a new owner? Also does anyone have any recommended cheap DAC? it's to connect to my laptop and from my laptop to the deck.
    20170430_001306.jpg 20170430_000229.jpg 20170430_000200.jpg 20170430_000145.jpg

Jorge likes this.
  2. mraiwa1000

mraiwa1000 New Member

Damn, that thing looks nice! Not too much of a fan of these myself, but insides look to be very good quality.

What's the manufacture date on the motors?

3. Command8

Command8 Member

11 july 1986

mraiwa1000 likes this.
  4. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member S2G Supporter

Nice catch cheap to.

5. Jorge

Jorge Active Member

Cheap DAC? Check Schiit Audio ad in the latest (May 2017) Stereophile. Page 60: "Obsolete $2,300 Yggdrasil... and if you want a Non-Obsolete 32bit DAC get $99 Modi-2"
    Brilliant!!! Reminds me of the VW "Drivers Wanted" ad or old Stereophile ads from Head Room, when HeadRoom were making our kind of shit, not just making money! ;-)

6. Command8

Command8 Member

Sorry Jorge, I don't read any audiophile magazine, yet. I forgot to ask, for cassette decks, do I really need an amplifier and if so is it cheaper to get a Dac/Amp combo? So far all i've found are headphone amps/dac combos, I don't think i can use those for a cassette deck, if so, I'll probably get a cheap O2+ODAC (revB) from Massdrop.

7. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

8. Command8

Command8 Member

Quick question, I'm trying tor record the 1994 - Vangelis - Blade Runner Soundtrack SACD (DSF) into a Sony chrome class UX 60 tape but so far I think im doing something wrong with the record level. All songs in the album have a high dynamic range, since im making sure that the peaks reach the 0 level following Hugo's old phillips DIN scale diagram but the sounds sounds too dull, if I push the peaks slightly past the 0 level the sound is horrible on playback.

9. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Well, that's a quite difficult case. For classical music and soundtrack, where the dynamic range is the highest possible, you'll need to get the best performance of the cassette.
    A good chrome tape, you already have it. A good nice reduction system, like dolby C, S or dbx. And you can push the levels 1 or even 2dB.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  10. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

WoW....Nice Deck , with dbx , you Should be able to have good recording and playback!!!!