1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hi Res cassette?

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by walkman archive, Mar 28, 2018.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

SeanMT likes this.
  2. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

It seems that what it actually does is an "up scaling" to use an image term or "up convert " as Toshiba call it for the various audio sources including good ol' tape to Hi-Res audio ,maybe not a bad idea if it works really well.

The Japanese text below the photo reads : (google translator)
    "Pressing the "UP CONVERT" button on the front of the main unit turns on the up-convert function that makes the sound source of the CD, cassette and radio equivalent to high res"
    upconvert (2).PNG

Lot of pics here

3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

very interesting
    Do you know about the release date? I would like to buy this New Toshiba

4. Machaneus

According to this site if not already on sale tomorrow or the day after. I like it a lot too ,thinking seriously to buy it also.

Boodokhan likes this.
  5. Simon

Simon Active Member

TY-AK 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • High resolution compatible SD / USB / CD radio cassette recorder
    • TY-AK 1
    • (N) Satin gold
    Features
    • Easily reproduce high-resolution sound source files (FLAC, WAV) up to 192 kHz / 24 bits, saved on SD card and USB memory <br /> Corresponds to 192 kHz / 24 bit sound source with about 6.5 times information volume of music CD.
      With high sound quality close to the studio, you can express vivid and dynamic feeling different from the past.
    • "Up convert function" that expands various sound sources such as cassette tape, CD, radio etc. to the sound quality equivalent to high res
      By supplementing the lost data in the process of compressing a compressed sound source (non-high resolution sound source) such as CD and MP3, it has a function to convert the sound quality into a frequency band equivalent to a high resolution sound source and a high resolution sound source.
      This makes it possible to convert not only CD, MP3, and radio but also the sound source to the cassette tape, not only the current sound source, but also the music heard in the past will be resurrected with the latest sound quality.
      [​IMG]
    • Corresponds to high position tape (TYPE II) playback <br /> It corresponds also to high-position tape (TYPE II) playback in addition to the normal tape so far by tape play switching.
      * High position tape corresponds to playback only.
    • Equipped with a 40 W speaker system that supports high resolution playback Equippedwith soft dome tweeter capable of reproducing high frequencies above 40 kHz and bass reflex type speaker system with high performance Woofer. Combined with an optimally tuned high power digital amplifier, it delicately and vividly describes the attraction of the high resolution from rich low frequency to fresh high frequency.
    • You can play the continuation of the previous time with the resume function.
      Resume playback function that can play the continuation from the last stopped position. Even when the power is turned off, it can be played from the continuation, saving you the trouble of finding the playback position.
    • Recording to USB ⇔ SD card is possible!
      It is possible to record from USB to SD card, SD card to USB. You can also record from cassette tape to SD or USB.
    • Radio timer reservation <br /> Timer reservation recording of radio can be specified that can specify up to 10 calendar days of the week.
    • Full of convenient playback functions! (SD / USB / CD)
      Convenient playback function that is perfect for language learning.
      · Speed control · · · "From slow" to "fast", speed adjustment is possible in 11 steps of 0.5 times to 1.5 times.
      · AB Repeat · · · You can repeat the set interval.
    • With "vocal down function" and "echo function" that you can enjoy karaoke easily with vocal down function, you can enjoy karaoke easily at home by connecting microphone to "external microphone terminal".
    • With convenient remote control <br /> With convenient multi function remote control you can easily operate even at your convenience.
    Specification
    CD player section

Number of channels 2 channel stereo
    Sampling frequency 44.1 kHz
    media CD, CD-R / RW (CD-DA format / music disc recorded with MP3 audio file)
    SD card part
    Playback format MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 (~ 192 Kbps)) / FLAC / WAV
    Supported memory SD card (sold separately) (32 MB to 2 GB), SDHC card (sold separately) (4 GB to 32 GB)
    Playable SD card Approved by SDA standard
    USB memory part
    Playback format MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 (~ 192 Kbps)) / FLAC / WAV
    Supported memory USB flash memory (sold separately) (32MB to 32GB)
    Playable USB memory USB-IF standard certified products (USB 1.1, USB 2.0)
    Radio section
    Reception frequency * 1 FM: 76.0 to 108.0 MHz (0.1 MHz step)
    AM: 531 to 1,710 kHz (9 kHz step)
    Cassette tape recorder section
    Track system 4 track, 2 channel stereo
    Recording method AC bias recording
    Erasing method AC Bias Erase
    Fast forward / rewind time Approximately 3 minutes (C60 single side)
    Recommended tape Normal cassette C60
    Common part
    Power supply ※ 1 AC 100 V 50/60 Hz
    Speaker ※ 1 φ 6.4 cm cone type + 2 cm dome type × 2
    Practical maximum output * 1 20 W + 20 W
    Input / output terminal External input: φ3.5 mm stereo mini-jack Microphone input: φ 3.5 mm monaural mini-jack SD card insertion port: In compliant with SD standard USB memory insertion port: USB 1.1, USB 2.0
    DC 5 V 0.5 A
    Power consumption * 1 22 W
    Maximum external dimensions * 1 350 (width) × 126 (height) × 218 (depth) mm (excluding projections)
    Weight ※ 1 About 3.0 kg
    accessories Power cord, remote control (lithium battery attached), AM loop antenna, with guarantee owner manual, reception frequency table

6. Simon

Simon Active Member

7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

So, we have a cassette (with infinite sampling rate), digitize it to 3min of DIGITAL (myguess its 3min of 24/196) which still falls short of "CD quality" of 16/44.1... Then up-sample this 3min MP3 onto 24/196, and call it Hi-Rez sound? What did I miss?
    The only benefit of this gizmo, according to my failing brain, is that the end result will have W&F from the original tape, which is sweet and "natural". But Hi-Rez?! Sounds like Hi-Fi, then Hi-end available for under $1,000 from BestBuy in the olden days... Stupid me wasting about the same $$$ for Each One of my power cords :crazy
    Tomorrow I'm gonna digitize a tape at 16/44.1 from my lowly Nak LX-3, burn it onto CD and play thru my upsampling Wadia 781i. Hi-Rez Heaven is awaiting... :boogie:

Boodokhan likes this.
  8. walkman archive

Maybe I missed something but I think this gadget is not worth at all. A small boombox that has a amp and speaker that can reach 40kHz with a button to "interpolate" the sound from CD/cassette, etc to hi-res? And then they claim the sound is hi-res? C'mon...
    I guess that photo is from the real device, with one capstan and roller. A basic head and basic mechanism? Hi res? :thumbdown::blablabla:
    Also, no specs from the cassette: no freq, no type accepted ("normal cassette suggested"! :iconconfused:)
    I think I'll take my ION tape2go crap walkman, digitize it in my X-Fi Elite sound card at 96kHz /24 bits and... voila! Hi res sound from cassette!! :yahoo

9. Machaneus

10. transwave5

transwave5 Member

TAPE2GO
    where did they get that ? :hmmm

11. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I thought the Hi-Res part is all about marketing.

Ten years ago you could buy a Panasonic DVR which amongst other things would upscale your VHS tapes to HD !

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/dvd-players/panasonic-dmr-ex95-126365/review

Having said that it is great that Toshiba recognise that there is still a market for equipment for old media,
    rather than just throwing in the towel to Apple and Samsung.

I was reading an interesting report from the UKs radio regulators this morning (after wondering if anyone every listens to the Radio using DVB)
    which says that over here physical media is still slightly more popular than listening to MP3s or streaming

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/105440/uk-radio-audio.pdf

The question is will the Aurex be sold outside of Japan ?

Techmoan found a Sony CD, Radio Cassette which he thought was better than the ones Sony sell in the UK but isn't available here.

12. mraiwa1000

mraiwa1000 New Member

That actually looks very nice. Quite doubtable that in, 2018, TOSHIBA would ever release something like this. But then again, the Japanese market is pretty different than the rest of the world. Very interesting otherwise

SeanMT likes this.
  13. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I wonder who their target market is. I had a look on the Dixons website at the reviews for the Sony available here (reviewed in th Techmoan video) and although good they were mostly along the lines of « I bought this for my 93 year old Mother, who loves being able to listen to here old Vera Lynn tapes again ».

The ressurgence in Vinyl has shown there is a huge market for new equipment for older formats. In the last year I have bought two old Sony turntables but since neither is yet in a fit state to use in the lounge, I can increasingly see the appeal of buying something like a new Audio Technica which hopefully would work to specification straight out of the box. The Aurex might be the closest equivalent for a portable CD cassette.

14. transwave5

transwave5 Member

I was at the used record store today and it was quite busy.
    They were usually empty and many had closed.
    And the prices were quite high too.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Boodokhan likes this.
  15. walkman archive

You mean where to buy the tape2go?

16. transwave5

transwave5 Member

Its like Stereo2Go
    so they made it Tape2Go.

17. walkman archive

Ahh, ok, now I see your point.
    I think it all started with a Panasonic walkman...

Panasonic S2G.jpg
    (photo by @-David- )