1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Repro It's A Sony Stickers

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by doublecee, May 7, 2017.

1. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Hi guys...

I have just had word that the new DD cases are being packed and should be with us shortly.

In the mean time, we had these commissioned a few weeks back, and now they have arrived, I thought I would give you all a sneak peak.

Intended for the restoration market, there is nothing worse than an otherwise nice unit being marred by a bad sticker.

I tried a few methods, each one a dead end, so just committed to doing it the proper way with a company that produces these type of stickers.

Available in two sizes, I could not wait to give them a go.

My D3 was looking a little tired, but this very simple face lift works like a charm. There is no difference between our repro and the original.

So, once the cases have arrived, we will be opening up the on line store for both products.

The stickers will come in a 4 pack. 2 large, 2 small.

Details to follow....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

This is great
    I need some of these stickers

DaR3dYoshi likes this.
  3. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Good to hear. Will update very soon.

16s and Boodokhan like this.
  4. alasdair

alasdair New Member

This is fantastic! I'll definitely buy some of these. I look forward to your update.

DaR3dYoshi likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Active Member

I really want these!

6. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Visited the printer today. As great as they are. I felt that I may have gotten my Pantone colour match slightly off as these stickers are a tad paler than the original orange. This, Im told, is due to the way we print these today (digitally), compared to the old plate and ink system of olde! So we are doing another batch with a better match. Then you will have a choice between muted or original.

Either way, they are kick ass and I have replaced all the old stickers on my collection with new.

Ive been talking a lot to Marian recently about this, that and the other.... and he made a great observation.... I seem to be really focused on the outward appearance of the walkman whilst he is very much concerned with the internals... With his new Gear, and my DD cases (SHIPPING FROM THE FACTORY THIS FRIDAY!!!!!) and the new stickers its a great time to be a DD head!

Anyway, glad you all approve....

sickly_b likes this.
  7. Boodokhan

@doublecee I have a question
    Is the sticker size is the same size of original sticker? thanks
    and by the way how can i order these stickers?

8. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

hey @Boodokhan

they are the same size as the small original sticker and the larger stickers used on units like the wm-4 and D-6C

They will be available as soon as the DD cases have arrived and I have had time to populate the new store section over at analogueoctober.com

I may also start thinning out the collection via the store as well.

Next project is going to be awesome.... DD Door latch with more pronounced catch recess! Im laser scanning an original part tomorrow with our new Faro Design Arm, and then rebuild a CAD version and then print it in tough resin. Planning to sell in packs of three, so your covered for the future.... watch this space

9. Boodokhan

Thanks
    let me know when is available. I would like to buy some sony stickers

10. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

i'm in, too !

11. renzgi

renzgi Member

Great thing you were doing.:hi

If you can then still reproduce this part, the DD Walkman will still make years of joy.
    For me, replacing this part is the biggest problem to preserve the DD Walkmans. FullSizeRender.jpg

sickly_b and freesofia like this.
  12. Chris

Chris Active Member

Are they ready yet? (Sorry for impatience!)

13. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Arrived yesterday. Just waiting on the DD cases to arrive. They should be here by Friday, Monday at the latest. Then everything will be available to order

14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I feel myself lucky that when restoring Discmans these old stickers do not leave any residue when removed. Walkmans painting must be very soft/fragile? Anyway, I am next in line to get a few :)
    Seems like a good time to get myself my first (ever!) DD Walkman!!! With Marian's gear + h/p upgrade plus your efforts we r back in the Future!! Good work, congrats!!!!!!! :)

15. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

[​IMG]

This is the 2nd batch. Ready to ship as soon as the cases have arrived. Will sell for £10 (2 x large stickers, 2 x Small stickers)

Doubt I'll sell All of them! There's 1000 there in total. But will do my best ;-)

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  16. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

17. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Keen on a set. Let me know the best method of payment and shipping cost to Australia.

18. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Will do.

19. Chris

Chris Active Member

Perfect!

20. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Thanks Chris.

Yes I am (to coin a British phrase) "well chuffed!"

The colour is a little muted compared to the original but this is due to the fact that Sony used a method that is long redundant and cost infinitive to replicate. This version gives you the clarity of the original in a sticker that should outlive us all (depressing eh?).

I've replaced about 40 in my own collection and they all just instantly elevate from being good samples to pretty awesome samples.

With the cases, repro DD door catch and stickers, I'm now wondering whats next?!? I ordered a slew of high end headphone drivers last year from Alibaba china. I may just take the plunge and prototype some headphones ;-)

Failing that, perhaps a better stronger Aiwa belt clip. They seem few and far between and always a tad weak at the "joint".

systemBuilder, Ken80s and Chris like this.