1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New To Walkman's

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Liamrocksla0, Dec 12, 2017.

?

Which walkman would be the best starter for me?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2018.
  1. Another Wm-F10 Maybe A Wm-F10ii

25.0%
  2. Wm-EX600

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wm-EX677

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wm-EX672

25.0%
  5. Wm-101

50.0%
  6. Wm-F70

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Liamrocksla0

Liamrocksla0 New Member

hello to all, I have recently just joined these forums as to seek help and maybe even purchase a new walkman. i currently own a cheapo cassette to mp3 walkman and I am also working on repairing my grandfathers WM-F10 Walkman. I'd like to know everybody i can that could possibly help me with current and future cassette technical problems.
    thanks much,
    Liamrocksla0

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

hello @Liamrocksla0
    welcome to the forum. I do not recommend any of the above walkmans as a starter. You have a WM-F10 and I think your own F10 can be a good starter
    I recommend you to get a DD walkman.
    Almost all of DD walkmans have central gear crack that gives a clicking sound. The solution of how to fix is available in the forum. If you are not familiar with repairing walkmans try to find a repaired one.
    A DD walkman can serve you for a long time

My 2nd recommendation is a TPS-L2 (iconic and highly collectible Sony walkman) or one of its close family TCM-600 or a BM-12.

3. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Welcome to S2G! :)

4. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

welcome aboard, Liamrocksla0 - your WM-F10 is allready quite a classy and rare unit to start with, don't mess around with it, take care - and you'll have the entry-ticket for a great cllection ;-)

5. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

I find the ex series a real pain to repair. The DD only needs a tiny bit of soldering... I’m not a pro repairman at all, just a hobby

Good luck!!

6. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

I voted for the 101 series in your poll only because I have what some would consider an "abnormal obsession" with these beauties. However I must concede that the DD series is by far the standard in the Sony lineup. Just like others mentioned keep an eye (ear?) for the clicking sound of the main gear.

Boodokhan likes this.
  7. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Assuming your grandfather's Walkman is broken or in need of repairs, you should consider buying another F10 as a donor walkman to replace components.

I recommend you check out the Walkman buying guide video on YouTube by "techmoan".

Welcome to stereo2go and good luck to you.
    :hi