1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WM-DD center gear prototype is here (EDIT - final version is here)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by mihokm, Dec 11, 2016.

1. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

Good news is here.

I tested the new gears in four randomly selected DD players (DC2, DD33, DD30 and D3).

In all of them, the gears work excellent, with 0% failure rate

- FF and REW work 100% OK, i.e. no bad gear contact. With the old gear, it often happened that FF or REW didn't work correctly because the old gear was shrunk and little deformed. Even 0.1 mm deformation, on one side, could cause problems. I had to compensate it by adjusting center gear arm. This problem no more exists with new gears. Position of new gear is given by the old metal disc which is of very good quality. Accuracy is also given by new support metal ring.

- PLAY mode: also works as it should. Three nipples on the metal support ring always ensure that the play function is always engaged correctly

- Mechanics noise: is as low as when the walkman was new. It also depends on other parts. The most silent was DD33 followed by DC2 and D3

- Wow/Flutter - was 0.07 to 0.08 WRMS on all of these players

Installation is very easy, it shouldn't take more than one minute. I need to prepare installation manual (I would like to finish it during the next week).

Thank you all for nice support, I'm very glad that this project is successful :)

Marian

delamostre, Boodokhan, RevDoc and 6 others like this.
  2. Middachten

Middachten Member

Congratulations, this is excellent news :yahoo

Let me know when/how I can order some!

3. Analogtape

Analogtape Member

Congratulations, Marian.
    Bearing in mind all the obstacles you had to overcome, it is difficult to admire your work enough.
    Not sure whether these gears will lead to a comeback of the cassette but they will extend the life of many WM-DDxx. :reelspin:
    Looking forward for more news of you soon.

sickly_b likes this.
  4. lxndio

lxndio New Member

Thank you, Marian, for your great work. This will helps many people reviving their old Walkmans (I myself have two defective DD3s laying around).
    I know from experience how much work it is to design, develop and manufacture such high precision parts, I do admire your work quite a lot.

Also, thank you for writing an installation manual. That'll help a lot as the DD3 can be quite tricky to disassemble at some parts.

5. parabellum

parabellum New Member

I´m a proud new owner of a Sony WM-D3 and WM-DD30, and both have the central gear problem.

I´m looking forward to buy your new gears and install them.

Thank you so much for your work, Marian. You have made an amazing contribution to this big community which Sony decided to forget.

6. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

I will prolong this weekend (I took one day vacation on Monday) and I will make manuals (step-by-step) instructions how to fix DD walkmans, including center gear repair.
    It would be great if there was special folder with step-by-step instructions created here. I also would like to revive my old Panasonic RQ-S step-by-step repair article and post it here.
    Hugo, may be you can help with it.

I will also prepare eBay listings for new center gear. The price for eBay buyers will be EUR 30 (converted to USD) and price for active S2G members will be EUR 20.

delamostre, RevDoc, sickly_b and 7 others like this.
  7. lxndio

lxndio New Member

Pretty good idea. A section for instructions could be pretty useful. I'd also have some tips on hand which could go there.

8. posiblelopez

posiblelopez New Member

Excellent Marian, Congratulations !!!. I am anxious to have the spare parts. So much to see my walkmans come back to life as to be part of this beautiful adventure. It is truly amazing and exciting how a diverse, diverse and multinational collective dreams of finding the solution to a machine considered obsolete by the rest of the world. And in that process crazy ideas are exchanged, tests are done that fail, until finally, a person gives the leap in quality and goes beyond, investing hours and hours in resurrecting the extinct dinosaurs.
    To the Jurassic Park we go !!!

9. Reimar

Reimar New Member

Hooray! Also hooray for the manual you are preparing – great idea! A am very much looking forward to repair all my DDs soon :)

10. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

You did a great job Marian. Thanks to you our beloved DD walkmans can play music for years to come.

11. Simon

Simon Active Member

Well done Marian. I just saw a listing on Ebay for a metal centre gear and was happy to see it was your listing!

12. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

13. Chris

Chris Active Member

What he said^

14. lxndio

lxndio New Member

Bought as well. I've been waiting for this for so long. Thank you very much, Marian!

15. Sunebralla

Sunebralla New Member

Just placed my order. This is great! Thank you so much for doing this Marian!

16. Doorz

Doorz New Member

Thank you for your perseverance, placed a order too!

17. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

Thanks to all of you. I'm glad that I can offer them for anyone, now. Now I have to solve how to pack them efficiently, with minimum time needed :)

Also, it is very important to publish my DD repair guide for beginners. I'm putting all my know-how and all my experiences with DD walkman repairs to it. I try not to forger anything. All problems that I had to solve so far must be there. It requires many hours of work but I would like to finish it by the end of this week. Later I will add also WM-F5.
    I'm preparing it in my LibreOffice locally and I need help how to post it efficiently here. I will also be happy when you can share your experiences there.

18. lxndio

lxndio New Member

The best way to publish your manual would probably be to export it as a PDF file as they can be opened on nearly any platform. Then just upload the PDF file to the forum (if it is smaller than 5.1 MB). If it is bigger, you could hand it over to me and I upload it to my web server and publish a link to it here.

19. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

It will sure be bigger. There are so many images. I should find a way how to optimize their size. Still lot of work to do.
    PDF was original idea. That's why I create it in Libre Office. It is very easy to export it to pdf from there.

20. Middachten

Middachten Member

Marian,

I have some experience with optimizing document size for mixed picture/text PDFs. I would be pleased to give it a try. Let me know if I can be of any help.