1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PANASONIC-FIRST 6 YEARS 1980 to 1985

Discussion in 'Best Threads' started by JohnEdward, Dec 5, 2016.

1. JohnEdward

JohnEdward Member Staff Member

This is a copy of the original (and one of the best) post by John Edwards in the old forum:

[​IMG]

My favorite line of Walkman the PANASONIC who’s early players were named "STEREO TO GO" thus establishing a unique name for their “Walkman” to set apart from Sony. I am partial to the high tech newer 1990 and later models but the heady days of the first 6 years of Walkman production are important for any collector. I feel that Panasonic over the entire 20 plus years of cassette Walkman production was Sony’s strongest competitor. Some manufacture’s for a few years may have eclipsed Panasonic but overall Panasonic continued to stay neck and neck with Sony especially in the later years. Following are the models in my collection that represent a good example of the first 6 years of Panasonic Cassette Walkman production.

I took 821 pictures to get the following 16 Walkman best shots, most of you know how much time it takes to choose the Walkman, clean them, set up photo shoot, take pictures, review and choose the very best few for each model, do a write up of information , upload to internet , copy paste link and finally you have the following … am tired already ;-)

Let the " TIME TUNNEL " begin.........>>>>>> [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2016
  2. JohnEdward

[​IMG]

1. 80/81 RS-J3 X 2
    2. 81 RX-2700
    3. 82 RF-10 Boxed white
    4. 82 RQ-J20X
    5. 82 RQ-J11 NIB
    6. 82 RQ-J5
    7. 82 RQ-J6 x 2
    8. 82 RX –1950
    9. 83 RQ-WJ1, KJ1
    10. 83 RQ-J36 x 2
    11. 83 RX-1960
    12. 84 RX-S35
    13. 85 RX-S40
    14. 85 RX-1930 x 2
    15. 85 RX-S28
    16. 85 RQ-JA5 x 2

RS-J3, RX-1960, RX-1950, RQ-J36, RQ-J6
    [​IMG]

3. JohnEdward

Generally it appears the most people consider the RQ-J33 to be Panasonic's first portable Walkman.
    Personally I do not feel this model really qualifies to compete with the TPS-L2. Yes the RQ-J33
    was portable, stereo and headphones but it was TOO BIG and looked much like the table top big push
    down piano key type buttons of the table top Cassette recorders/players that were portable but you
    DID NOT CARRY THEM on you belt. If someone can add a picture of the RQ-J33 that would be appreciated.

That said IMO the first real Panasonic Walkman is the RS-J3 with step up from Sony offering true
    Line Out L & R. Released late 1980 A very sturdy player mine works perfectly still orig. belt and
    have case in mint condition. Mine is a serial number # 007667 a very low number for first production
    model. Note the next model RQ-J5 mine is serial number # 136,000 proving prior model is a very early
    surviving unit of the First Panasonic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOW LOW SERIAL NUMBER >>>> 007667 <<<<

[​IMG]

4. JohnEdward

Awh the oversized but wonderfully crafted and exterior designed
    RX-2700 released 1981. Having a mono speaker but full stereo to headphones and recording feature from built in Mic,

th-4050476014.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2023
  5. JohnEdward

And here we have the first Panasonic FM radio only the RF-10 NIB with those outrageous ORANGE headphone foam intact perfect. Box is a bit tatty but all there. Has all accessories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JohnEdward

Probably one of the hardest to find and rarest Walkman the RQ-J20X 82/83 with dbx tape hiss elimination
    ( note not reduce but totally ELIMINATES IT !! ). Requires a dbx encoder to make the tape to be
    decoded by the player. DBX made stand alone belt clipped dbx decoder/ amplifier so dbx encoded
    tapes could be played on any Walkman. Was the PPA-1 which I have NIB. Do a search on S2G for
    details. This player has new belts now and had to have the pcb board remade, and almost all
    new capacitors as common to this model, early Panasonic's, Aiwa, Toshiba is capacitor leakage
    destroying pcb board. Yep this unit uses a flexable PCB, the main PCB, this is one of a kind unit,
    they did that to add the DBX circuits but making this unit, harder to service.

I admire the build quality of the unit, very well built transports, one of the best I seen.

My eternal thanks to an amazing members skill and persistence & most of all TIME. I will bet
    this is the ONLY PERFECTLY WORKING J20X in the WORLD !!

The non dbx sister to this was the RQ-J9. See end of this post for Photos of RQ-J9. These too have sound problems due to pcb board problem like J20X. See my multiple topics on this model and dbx technology do a search on S2G. Please note whenever you buy a anyWalkman if seller says sound is not very good or electrical
    problems it is probably pcb board capacitor leakage problems due to low grade capacitors used.
    Stay away from these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here was the price conscious model from Panasonic the RQ-J11 I believe released Nov. 81 as a
    82 model to compete with the WM-1 Sony’s 3rd model after the TPS-L2 and the WM-2. This
    example is a NIB never opened example when I bought it. Headphone foam is perfect never
    unwrapped or out of box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RQ-J9 1982/1983 Non dbx sister mechanically to RQ-J20X

296137596330962618.jpg
    296137596330962619.jpg
    296137596330962620.jpg
    296137596330962621.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2023
    PJ0688 likes this.
  7. JohnEdward

Panasonics RQ-J5 came out in 1982. A model downgrade of the RW-J3 produced with no RCA output jacks and more plastic construction as the world of Walkman became more focused on cost points. Here is a story that tears at any walkman collector’s heart. WE ALL have had sellers who packaged the player poorly and it arrived damaged or function altered. My RQ-J5 was in great cosmetic condition except for few marks on plastic tape door, what a find for this old a player. Seller wrapped ONE damn layer of thin bubble wrap. During shipping a sharp object broke through the edge of box and cracked crushed top near end chrome header piece….. Probably one of few of these in WORLD left with few marks and now damaged forever by stupid negligence and disregard for a rare existing example of portable cassette technology. Even though I got a refund I would have MUCH rather had the player undamaged.
    Sigh……;-( At least surprisingly it plays excellently and like the RS-J3 still has orig. belt…. IMPRESSIVE quality no doubt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JohnEdward

Next is the RQ-J6 released 1982 the first full stereo recording Panasonic I believe with twin built in Mics and jacks for two external mics. A true tank of a Walkman. Most lucky find ( have two ) with original owners manual, headphones with foam intact, case with extra tape carry case and the A/C ( mains) power adaptor. This model has also the twin RCA output jacks and also included twin rotary volume controls. Note warranty card signed April 1982 verifying 1982 is correct date of release possibly late 81.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JohnEdward

The RX-1950 came out in 1982 with interesting level of controls and a antenna that greatly added to quality of reception over using headphone cable as antenna. Some cloned parts used for Jordache and Windsor ….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JohnEdward

Brought out in 1983 this trio of mechanical sister models with external
    variations are the RQ-WJ1, RQ-KJ1 and the RQ-SJ1. This was Panasonics first small size player to compete with the WM-2 and WM-5.
    The cog depressed FF and REW worked much better /reliably than the ill fated Toshiba design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For a short while few months this model was the SMALLEST CASSETTE PLAYER until the Sony WM-10 came out. AS NOTED ON SERVICE MANUAL BELOW

[​IMG]

11. JohnEdward

A scaled down version of the RQ-J6 the RQ-J36 came out in 1983 with fewer features and a smaller size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. JohnEdward

Next we have the RX-1960 out in 1983 also. This is a particularly stunning looking Walkman with its heavy sparkly silver finish and nice layout front face design. It was packed with features and buttons making it a very well optioned player for the time and inclusion of antenna gave it above avg. reception. I like this model and the RX-2700 particularly for the bigger older models.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. JohnEdward

The RX-S35 out early in 1984 was I think an attempt to offer a full featured player in a smaller size but to keep cost reasonable the allowed the model to be thicker saving cost to make really small. A nice looking unit that included AM/FM and Dolby B.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JohnEdward

AHHHH the MAGNIFICENT RX-S40 DIRECT DRIVE AMORPHOUS player. You must give credit to Panasonic to produce a collapsible player like the WM-10,20,30,40 series of Sony and include a AM/FM radio AND DIRECT DRIVE SYSTEM with AMORPHOUS HEAD TECHNOLOGY. This model released I believe in 1985 and is still a flagship of performance for Panasonic in the 80’s. It is the smallest Direct Drive Walkman ever made as far as I know. The face actuated FF and REW work perfectly. Sadly they did not include Dolby C which would have made this an astounding player. I can tell you the sonic quality of sound is nearly on par with the DC2 exclusive of not having dolby C. This player makes you feel like the violin soloist is sitting next to you and you can hear the sound of the bow drawing across the strings. Truly a clarity and smooth sound without harshness that sometimes the DC2 touches upon. YES SADLY the center gear is cracked and clicking. It was minimal a year ago when purchased but after use it has become audible in the headphones and am afraid it will eat tapes soon… a SHAME. You would think being another mfg. company that the same mistake of material used in center gear would have been different, alas no. National made a sister model also both makes available in Black or Silver. I love the look of this player. It just does not look like any other player off hand I can think of. Do a search S2G for this model I put up a long post this model only with pictures comparing the DC2 and WM-40.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JohnEdward

Also out in 1985 was the RX-1930. This pair is dedicated to FLOPSIEMOPSIE and her dedication to this model. This pair has what I believe is a the unheard of distinction of being SEQUENTIAL SERIAL NUMBERED !! WOW I bet not another collector in WORLD has same model consecutive numbered !!! Check out the serial numbers to believe your eyes. They left the assembly line together and after 25 years they ARE STILL TOGETHER. A fine marriage indeed ;-)
    Well you all know I love stories and this one is GOOD. How did I ever get TWO serial numbered one after other you ask ??? I purchased this on Ebay some time ago and when arrived it had bad belt slippage. I contacted seller he apologized and said “ I think I have another one in a box somewhere if I can find it I will send it to you free of charge. Ok I thought. Well when the second one arrived ( which worked fine) and I opened to put batteries in luckily I opened the other one to take batteries from it or I would probably NEVER have noticed the serial numbers were numbered right after each other. I WAS beyond amazed. Surely the Walkman Godz smiled upon my luck that day.
    And so you never know what you first thought is BAD can turn out so good!! Maybe this could be a AESOP’s Fable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CONSECUTIVE SERIAL NUMBERS WOW !!

[​IMG]

16. JohnEdward

Next the last I have is the RX-S28 a very rather THICK player for sure.
    This model had AM/FM, Cassette and was a recording model with a built in mono mic and a jack for a STEREO MIC. Not a bad looking Walkman at that but sleek it was not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. JohnEdward

Finally bringing up the very tail end of my 80-85 Panasonic Walkman is the RQ-JA5 a stunning achievement in size , performance and appearance. Having a nicely executed High, Low and Normal preset EQ buttons. I am blessed to have BOTH colors Silver and Black with cases. AgentOrange I dedicate this pair to you as I know you have a found place in your heart for this model. They are beautiful together.
    Saved one of the BEST for Last. I hope you all enjoyed a half of decade of examples of Panasonic Walkman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JohnEdward

Fellow members please feel free to add pictures and descriptions of any Panasonic ONLY 1980-1985 models I have not pictured. Please give year. Do I hear a vote for the one of the best post of 2010 ?

19. JohnEdward

Realized after I did this topic in May of 2010 I purchased a RQ-J9 the mechanical sister to the dbx RQ-J20X model. The RQ-J9 did not have dolby or dbx on it. I posted several photos earlier in this post where the J20X is featured.

RQ-J9 1982

[​IMG]

20. matt

matt Member

The last freestyle I owned wasn't named rx-s35 but it sure looked a lot like it!
    Guess it was rx-s6? or something.
    Sorry that I cannot find a picture.

Bought it in the 80's and it still played very well when I sold it around 2012.
    Practically undestroyable by normal use even though it mostly was made of plastic.

Yul likes this.