1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic RQ-S series walkmans - complete step-by-step repair guide

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by mihokm, Dec 10, 2017.

1. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@mihokm Great post, Thank You!

I have a word of caution for those who decide to buy Panasonic as their first Walkman repair effort. Until Marian makes new pinchrollers available, double-check that they are in good condition. If Panasonic was left in Play position, pinchroller is ruined. In my case of RQ-SX15 one pinchroller had 0.5mm of its width shaved-off. Ordering RQ-S15 as a donor I have learned that pinchrollers are slightly different and not interchangeable between RQ-SX and RQ-S models, and number 15 is pretty much meaningless. I downloaded a few dozen photos of Panasonic heads and got even more confused as to which models have interchangeable pinchrollers.

3. Brandon

Brandon Member

Great Stuff , got a few Panny RQ's to re-belt and service this will be very handy.

4. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

Luckily, Panasonic used only two versions of mechanics - one for RQ-S models and early RQ-SX models, the other one for later RQ-SX models.
    I need to produce two pinch rollers to cover all. The pinch roller core is not simple, it has step-hole inside. I'm not sure if my producer will be able to make them. I'm afraid it will be problem. But i will try to find solution

Currently I'm finishing second version of pinch rollers for Sony walkmans. They should be ready by the end of this month.

Jorge likes this.
  5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@mihokm thanks for the tip! I guess instead of buying more dead Panasonics I will wait for new pinchrollers :)

I think pinchroller cores should not be a problem, they stay intact and it is pretty easy to re-use them.

6. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member