1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable cassette recorder wanted such as Marantz 430 or TC5

Discussion in 'Gear you want' started by T-ster, Sep 25, 2017.

1. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Hi all,

I need something good quality to record cassette mixtapes, i no longer have room for a full size seperates hifi thanks to the 100+ boomboxes i own so i need something compact but that makes good recordings.

I have considered a WM-D6C, a Marantz CP430 and a Sony TC5 or variant, but i am open to hear about anything else i should look for. Serviced and working would be good so i can get on and use it straight away.

Please don't say check ebay, I have just had two horrid experiences on ebay and after finally receiving a refund i couldnt face it all again. If anyone has any suggestions or things they'd like to sell please let me know.

Thanks dudes.

2. T-ster

3. T-ster

:( Nothing, no one have anything they need shift?

4. T-ster

Blimey. Tough crowd.

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't you also you a full size component? You could still use it without having to buy the rest of the system and these days they go for dirt cheap. Also I'm curious why you don't just use a boombox?

6. T-ster

Boomboxes were never designed as high quality recording devices, mixtapes would be mediocre at best.

I have since bought a TC-D5 which is currently in for repair with Sergi . Still looking out for a 430 though

7. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I've got a lowly 420, I haven't had the chance to record a tape in years but I just picked up some prerecorded cassettes for the truck, they still sound pretty good for being 30+ years old.