portable CD players with MD-like recording features?

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by bleb, Aug 31, 2020.

1. bleb

bleb New Member

Sometimes when I listen to the radio I wish I could record it and play it back later. It would be dope to be able to plug in a portable CD player with a splitter, and record it to a CD as I listen (as you can do with MD). Are there any portable CD players with a feature like this?

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Most of that equipment would start mid-2000's, I think I got my first burner for my laptop around 2004 when the prices really dropped. Marantz is the only one I can think of, I'm sure there's more but even today they still get pretty good money for these units. These would have been released by Superscope along with some of their other recording portables, mostly aimed at a commercial market. If the build quality is the same as the PMD line of tape recorders, they should be really nice, Techmoan did a video on one a few years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marantz-CD...525260&hash=item1ced1f1455:g:n4QAAOSwDFVe9lv~
    marantz cd.jpg

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I wonder if the ease of recording is one of the things that keeps the sales of Radio Cassettes and blank cassettes going. As I commented in Techmoan's latest video on a Panasonic Radio Cassette (which non patreons will get to see in the next week) they are so simple Grandma can use them.

A couple of other options bearing in mind you are in the USA.
    • Find a radio that will record to USB sticks. Does the GPO Brooklyn do this ? I don't own one so can't check.
    • A small number of Sony MP3 players could record from radio to an MP3 file. I own a NWz 445 which definitely does. To quite a few peoples annoyance they dropped this facility on the later ones making some feeble excuse thatMore people were using Digital Radio so it was no longer relevant.
    For people in Europe a few more options, I have.
    • Use a DVD / Hard Drive recorder if the station you want to record is one of the dozen or so transmitted alongside the Digital TV channels.
    • Find one of the few DAB radios that will record. I have a Pure Bug that features an EPG and will record the digital broadcasts straight to SD card. It is so old SD are the only thing support so the maximum card size is 2GB.
    • For people in the UK who want to record BBC radio Getiplayer is an option. Of course there is no guarantee it will still be working next week, and the user interface is like something from the 1980s.
    It is almost as if the manufacturers have agreed with the broadcasters not to offer a recording facility. It reminds me with the situation with DVD players a decade ago, where the cheaper and more obscure the player, the more facilities (like multi region) you got.