1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question: replacement ac cord for Sony Discman D-25/D-250?

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by SKORPIOTONE, May 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SKORPIOTONE

SKORPIOTONE New Member

Hello all,
    Just scored a D250 at a rummage sale. It's missing the US power cord and the battery is flat. Any suggestions before I dig up and try the 9V one from my old Nintendo?

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

9V, center pin must be negative. New batteries available from kaosuncd.com

3. SKORPIOTONE

SKORPIOTONE New Member

Thanks! I'm going to rummage through a box of adaptors to see if anything matches. Otherwise, it appears the Sony ac-940 will need to be ordered.

Such an amazing little discman, especially with that heavy bottom plate. A metal-bodied player has been a grail since 1990.

4. SKORPIOTONE

SKORPIOTONE New Member

pix

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Agreed, this is one of the smallest and best-looking Discmans out there! Some folks even argue that it is also the best-sounding because of its 4x oversampling digital filter.
    Nice catch for a rummage sale, congratulations :)

SKORPIOTONE likes this.
  6. SKORPIOTONE

SKORPIOTONE New Member

Hit the thrifts today, nabbing three neg-tip 9V adaptors, two which worked.

Good new: it powers up and spins
    Bad news: it won't read properly and display flickers to disc speed

It appears I have another future research & repair project. Thanks for the help with the AC.

7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I just fixed mine a few months ago, let me know if you need any free advices ;)

8. SKORPIOTONE

SKORPIOTONE New Member

Will do!
    Here are my current main audio projects:
    - Clean/deoxy my grimy case /scratchy-sounding pots of a goliath-sized Cariole ghettoblaster
    - Re-belt a Sony Walkman WM-1
    - Practice refinishing the plexiglass cover of a $5 garage sale Kenwood turntable in preparation of restoring my main ones
    - Replace some bulbs and touch up the wood of a Color Organ music light box

So much to research, many youtube videos to watch.

9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Restoring plex cover will be the outmost fun! I bought a new lid for my Sondek and once received got adventurous and did repolishing of the scratched one. A lot of elbow work and a few days of sore muscles! Should have watched and practiced workout videos before getting into it! ;-(
    The end result is sooo painfully dear to me that new cover is still sealed, just looking at repolished Sondek brings a lot of memories... Isn't it what vinyl is all about? (well, maybe not All, Sondek does sound better than any other front-end I connect to my stereo)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  10. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Jorge... Good job! Do you have Some pics of your plex , before and after? How did you do iT ?

11. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Plex is next to impossible to catch on photo, unless it is nicely "aged" under a layer of dust ;)
    L1100744sm.jpg

once dusted, there is not much to see:
    L1100746sm.jpg

About "how to": whatever you do, do Not use Dremel! At least in my hands it made more damage than polishing. Also, talking to a professional about polishing plex edges I've learned about the flame-torch technique... Thanks God, my Boss was not at home when I tried that tip! :eek:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  12. Simon

Simon Active Member

Great find! I was watching one on Ebay last week and I think it sold for £250!

13. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

WoW looking as good as perfect! Flame-torched?? Does that works? How to do? I am curious..

14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

You need a torch (evidently;)) and then make QUICK passes over the cut and pre-sanded edge... Very-extremely-simple, ha-ha!!! If you are too quick, nothing happens, if thorough then plex bubbles and you need to cut again. If you are like me, you will stick with sanding and polishing pastes, after a lot of cursing and extinguishing a few minor fires o_O

15. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Simon for D250 its a reasonable price, at least thats what I paid for my first D250 restored by Verheyan.com
    The guy must have retired but thankfully we have Master Gu (as our Chinese comrads respectfully call him) at kaosuncd.com, he does an exceptional job (I am not too bad myself if anyone sends Discman my way, but Kaosun is in a different league!). Back to D250: if D555 goes for $600+ then $300 for D-25 is a steal.

Simon likes this.