1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-Discovered WM-DC2

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by TooCooL4, Jan 31, 2017.

1. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Just re-discovered my WM-DC2 after 2 months of not using it. Wow I had forgotten how good this player is, I have been using the WM-DD9.

The reason for using the WM-DD9 was about 2 months ago on the way to work, I manage to short out my DC2 changing the batteries. Don’t know how that happened but it did, anyway been so busy to check it out and all the other DC2’s being with dottor walkman meant I could not swap to another DC2 hence the DD9.

Over the weekend I managed to checkout the DC2 and fixed it. I started to use it again this Monday for my commute to and from work. Wow the sound just blow my mind, such gravitas / depth and clarity with TDK MA-XG just amazing. If I have issues again I will just be using the D6C as they both blow away the DD9.

I have said this before and I will say it again, for the people that keep running around spending loads of money on a DD9. Get yourself a good working DC2 with service and save money to get decent recordings to play in it. Leave the DD9 to the people who don’t know and only believe the hype.

Emiel and retro like this.
  2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I have both models (DC2 and DD9). The quality of sound on both is almost similar.

3. TooCooL4

To my ears they are very different sounding. The DD9 is just lightweight compared to the DC2. The DD9 has better spec’s but them we all know it takes more than spec’s alone. On paper and on the oscilloscope the DD9 may reach higher frequencies and have better stability but listening test the DC2 has it. I always hook them up to very revealing setup, as good as the DD9 is, it just does not have the gravitas of the DC2 let alone the D6C.

The DD9 is so overrated just like the Nakamichi Dragon, the simpler machines without the bells and whistles always wins due to having fewer electronics in the way. They just get on with the job of playing the music.

What tapes are you using to make your comparisons? I use well-recorded metal tapes from my Nakamichi CR-7. The tapes I use are TDK MA-XG, TDK MA-R, Sony Super Metal Master, Maxell Vertex etc to make my comparisons they will show any difference in any player that is capable of using them. I stay away from Dolby Bass boost ect.

Ken Duc likes this.
  4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Iv said this before, you need to get a matching pair of headphones for you're dd9 which is difficult i know, but my dd9 is as good as my d6c was, hence i sold my d6c because it's a brick

for example iv tried about 9 pairs of cans on the dd9 and it sounded rubbish, but on the correct cans it's as good as the d6c it actually sounded slightly better, i have no regrets.

are they worth the money they go for now, hell no but no walkman is

i mean you must remember my other post on the old forum, slagging off the dd9, well that's not the case anymore i can ashure you

is it the best walkman in the world?? no, some of my aiwas are much better than any sony walkman

get these and you're dd9 will blow you away toocool
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-MDR-...319520?hash=item211f7eb9a0:g:DP8AAOSw44BYjyVW

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. Radio Raheem

Ok forget my comments toocool, just tried my walkmans and they all sound medeocre, iv just been using to much hi end gear on headphones latley but i guess there only walkmans:frown::wink:

6. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

I love the DC2. I have several now. But I also love the DD9. With a pair of Grado's it's an exceptional machine.... but I always revert to the DC2 for its musical prowess.

And whoever set the precedent by first selling a DD9 for over 500 quid really did the hobby a massive disservice.

7. Radio Raheem

i agree £500 for a dd9 is crazy, a member just sold a boxed dc2 on here for over 2k, if it were up to me id ban him, that's just my opinion though, i have the grado ps1000 cans and there superb

8. TooCooL4

Don’t forget Radio Raheem, I use all my Walkman with an external amp so the Walkman does not see the headphone load.

I am not a fan of the Sony XBS range of headphones, in fact I am not a fan of any headphones that artificially boosts the bass which is what the XBS is all about.

Don’t forget i use high-end headphones, which are a blend of what I made using Beyerdynamic headphones.

Radio Raheem / doublecee we all like a different sound, I do not like the way Grado’s sound in fact I have only heard one Grado I liked. The only one I liked was the PS 500, to me that is a Grado designed for non-Grado fans.

9. TooCooL4

I don’t think he sold it for that much as I saw the same unit re-listed immediately after.

10. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

one thing we are all agreed on I supposse is that sound preference is subjective

11. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

My experience with the DC2 and DD9 is a bit different than yours, Toocool. I use mines mainly in the street or while travelling (high speed train, plane) so always are noisy environments.

My-mixtape-by-Miracle-myle-04.jpg
    Here's me with a mixtape I was given by Miles (Tapeheads user) ready to get into the HST from Madrid to Barcelona.

I know it's not the best place to listen to music with excellent quality, but it is what it is. At home I use my decks.
    In those noise environments, GRADOs are almost completely useless. I did search for a reatively small -foldable preferably- headphones with some passive noise isolation.
    I tried the active NR by BOSE but the sound is not that good (although it effectively reduces noise unbeliveably well) and I prefer a not-so-good isolation, for my own security.
    I've tried B&W and other small headphones and the BOSE AE2 beat them all, by a far margin. Mainly because they are closed over-the-ear rather than on-ear as the rest. I know BOSE has not a very good reputation in headphones as some previous models sound bad. I've tried the earlier model to the AE2 and it was bad, but hey, these ones are totally different.

With this AE2 and in noise environments, the bass lacks a lot, and the DD9 shines with its Megabass. It doesn't need really a headamp but when travelling in high speed train, i.e., the noise is relatively low and my CMoy is well thanked, because it adds punch to the result. But in noisier places the difference is very low (metro...).

My-mixtape-by-Miracle-myle-05.jpg

So in my experience the DD9 has proved to be a better choice, helped by the autoreverse which is always helpful when you travel with a backpack and luggage. You know...

My-mixtape-by-Miracle-myle-06.jpg

12. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Ive also found the Sennheiser HD-25's a good match for both machines, especially on long haul flights

13. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I have also a pair of HD-25 (a special unit with microphone and XLR). They isolate quite well and have good reputation amongst DJ. But compared to many full-sized headphones they lack soundstage. In fact, they have almost no soundstage at all.
    In this regards, the AE2 are miles ahead these ones. But they don't isolate as much, though.

14. TooCooL4

Yes it is indeed :thumbsup:

15. TooCooL4

I only ever use my Walkman out and about too.

The AE2 are one of the better reasonable priced Bose headphones, but I find them a bit of a hit and miss. Some I have listened to sound quite good and others sound like the music is coming out of a tunnel.

I know you don't want total isolation but if you did then you cannot beat the Etymotic ER-4s.

You are correct our experience with the DD9 are very different, I would never go near the Mega Bass It just completely ruins the sound.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  16. TooCooL4

The HD-25 was a classic, but like you say we all like different sounds.

For me the the HD-25 is too dark sounding and the clamping force is just too much for me, after about 10 minutes the physical pain on my ears is too much.

I prefer IEM or Circumaural not Supra-aural headphones.

17. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Old pre-recorded cassettes ;)
    BUT about 2 months ago i received a mixtape from Hugo and even with a good quality tape couldn't see any difference between my DC2 and DD9
    It might be related to headphone issue since most of the time i use basic but very convenient earphones. and i do not use AMP.

18. Radio Raheem

like me boodokhan, i use good quality headphones and i actually thought the dd9 was slightly better than the d6c but there was little in it

19. TooCooL4

No problem, enjoy what you have.
    I have to say to my ears they definitely sound different to each other.

Pic3.jpg Pic2.jpg

sickly_b and RevDoc like this.
  20. TooCooL4

No problem Radio Raheem, i believe dottor walkman prefers the DD9 too. For me the D6C is the best of those 3.