1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reassembling the Sony WM-D3

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Will, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Will

Will New Member

In this instruction I'll try to explain how to replace the center gear and reassemble the WM-D3.

I found several instructions on disassembling a DD walkman and WM-D3 also, so there is little need to explain this here. Anyhow, you could use this instruction for disassembly by starting at the last step and execute is in opposite direction.

Unfortunately I set my camera to a very high ISO/ASA number and as a result the photo's are very noisy. I apologize for that.

Years ago I disassembled my WM-D3 because I wanted to find out what coursed the "ticking" noise.

As soon as I saw the "split" centergear it was clear that this couldn't be fixed easily. Disappointed I put the D3 parts in several boxes and this is how the inner life appeared after all these years:
    [​IMG]

Fortunately I have the Service Manual with the exploded views. But these aren't a 100% clear when you have to start from scratch…

Well let's get started.

First lets mount the new "Marian-gear". This is explained very well in another topic and there is no need to repeat this here. This is the result:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I disassembled the gear completely and there is no need to do so, but anyhow thats how it was.
    Now what???
    After several trial and error and searching for pictures I found out that the copper ring should be pressed over the axis of the centergear. So this is how it looks:

Don't forget to put the thin (white) plastic ring between the main-gear and the magnetic gear.
    [​IMG]
    In the picture the white ring is on the magnetic gear. The main gear is in the middle.

Then mount this assembly in your D3, but place the spring first.
    [​IMG]

Then mount the assy...
    [​IMG]
    I put a tiny drop of oil on the marked spots (the two green arrows).
    Now you can replace both split washers on these spots. A black one on top of the brass assy-axis and a transparant one on the gear-axis.

Next: remount the switch using the black screw. This one is just a little longer compared to the other black ones.

After having done that, place the FFWD and REW knobs (sm-129) and springs (sm-128). Both are identical. The item numbers in parenthesis refer to the service manual.
    [​IMG]
    Don't forget the springs!

Just push gently until they snap in place.
    [​IMG]

Following part was added 2017-09-30 12:00
    Next items to remount are numbered 1-5 in the picture. It is best to remount them in sequence of 1 to 5.

[​IMG]

The item numbers in parenthesis refer to the service manual.

1a The LEVER ASSY, FWD (138)

Pay attention to the marked lever in the next picture: this lever is operated by the Lever Assy 1a.
    [​IMG]

Mount the forked end into the left gap, simply press it down. You can use a pair of pliers to push the forked end together.
    Don't loose the small spring and make sure that you can access it in one of the next steps.
    [​IMG]

Align the Lever Assy with the other lever as marked in the picture (upper marking). Now attach the split plastic washer in the bottom marking. This is the black washer 1b.
    [​IMG]

Now reconnect the spring as indicated. Hook it to the upstanding part. When done it should be as in the next picture.
    Note: Sony changed this later. The spring should be connected to the right spring in the picture.
    [​IMG]
    Please note: the spring should be attached to the upper (big) spring in the next picture.
    [​IMG]

---
    Next part added on 2017-10-01

2 Mount the green Play button (sm-126) and don't forget the spring, beneath the button...
    3a Mount the spring for the Stop button first (sm-134), then…
    [​IMG]

3b Mount the Stop button (sm-133) in the position as indicated in the picture.
    [​IMG]

4 Mount the Arm (B) REC (sm-123). Hold it in an upright position and hook in the the square hole first. In the picture this is marked by the arrow. Then place the arm over the Start button.
    [​IMG]

5a Mount the Collar, REC arm (sm-113)

[​IMG]

5b Mount the spring (sm-115)

[​IMG]

5c Mount the washer (sm-114) on top of the spring and be careful not to push it off in the next step

[​IMG]

5d Mount ARM (A) REC (sm-112). Put the end (1) over the washer (previous step) and press it down slightly. Now move the arms other end a little to to the right and maneuver it under the hook (2).

Doing this, the brass leaf spring (3) will get in the way. Be careful not to bend it. It might help to push the Play button down. If you do so, be shure to release the Play button later (by pressing Stop).

[​IMG]

Now mount the plastic split washers
    5e and 5f

[​IMG]

----
    That's all for now. Next steps in a couple of days...
    Hopefully this'll help you. Comments or questions? Don't hesitate :wink2

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Ball000 likes this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Extremely helpful with photo's to show to. It may not be clear to you but this could potentially help hundreds of people as time goes by and people search for help and find this excellent thread. Good man.

16s likes this.
  3. 16s

16s Member

:thumbsup::thumbup: Keep the photos coming. Thank you

4. Orlando Cabrera

Orlando Cabrera New Member

It helps! Very, very useful!

5. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

thank you @Will
    I like the way you guide step by step with pictures

6. Will

Will New Member

Thank you for your encouragements.

More steps are added in the original post. So in case you're interested: please scroll back.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  7. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

your pictures are awesome

you've really take time to label every thing up properly

my d3 had been messed with before because when I took apart some things were missing or in wrong place

1 washer was missing, and the spring for the black head lift lever was in the wrong place.

Luckily I got sent a spare mechanism and realised this

I think with Marian's guide, yours and my pictures, a lot of people can now save their walkmans

8. davebush

davebush Active Member

great thread....very useful

9. Will

Will New Member

A new part is added and I made some edits.
    Have fun...

Boodokhan likes this.
  10. renzgi

renzgi Member

Really good your guide.
    There is only one minor mistake.
    The spring of the head slider must be hooked on the chopping of the larger black spring .
    And not as in your photo (SONY has changed this after the production of WM-2.)

Also note that the one screw on the motherboard must be missing! Although hole are present. The reason is the switch for rec. otherwise work not correctley.
    (This also changed SONY.)
    IMG_3421_s.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  11. Will

Will New Member

Hmmm, you're right about the spring... Now I'm in doubt whether I should dismantle my D3 again to fix this. It seems to be working.
    I've added a note in the instructions above.

I knew about the "missing" screw on the mainboard. It confused me a little though, because one of the other holes was hidden under a cable.

12. renzgi

renzgi Member

IMG_1183.jpg
    The Spring: I would leave it so if you keep the Walkman.
    The screw must be missing.It is original from SONY so.

13. renzgi

renzgi Member

Compare with image from before.
    Interesting. On this board, Sony has adapted the white arrows.

IMG_1184.jpg

14. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Great job! Thx

15. bartarie

bartarie New Member

Really REALLY nice topic! This might give me the Spirit to replace the wheel etc for my D3!