1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Received from NAC

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by Michelle Knight, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Michelle Knight

Michelle Knight Active Member

I was watching videos, among which included Techmoan and also National Audio Company... and it seems that new cassettes are recorded without Dolby and are coming in at type I (but don't carry the digalog logos either). I'm buying the Guardians of the Galaxy to hear just what these recordings sound like... and also that NAC is manufacturing its own tape. So I dropped NAC an e-mail, and they very kindly found the time to respond.

Here's most of what I got back this morning and I thought I'd share the info. Can't wait to hear the tapes. This is going to be an interesting year for cassette...

2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Oh that's great news, new tape stock!

3. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I wonder what implications NAC's inhouse super ferric tape wil have on tape prices. Hopefully those crazy prices on ebay will drop as everyone flocks to new tape stock.

4. Michelle Knight

It'll be that age old battle... a new formulation from a company that, albeit very experienced in tape, is their first foray... against older formulations from companies that have been doing tape for decades.

I, for one, am looking forward to getting hold of things, and seeing how a type I bias without NR faces up against old formulations.

What I'm more excited about is whether this is good enough to make it viable to bring back cassette players properly... in particular, portable. I believe that it was the poor quality of the commercially available cassettes that killed tape as a format. Will the same thing play out now?

Good quality cassettes on a good quality tape unit has potential in the market place. I, for one, have found myself sat in front of my digital collection, completely swamped by what to play next. The cassette, CD and vinyl are a journey.

Interesting times ahead.

Jorge and Boodokhan like this.
  5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Interesting news indeed... I cannot wait for @walkman archive tests on these "Super-Duper Ferric" tapes! Knowing that we are deep into marketing hype nowadays, I do not expect much. But it would be nice to be wrong!!

6. Command8

Command8 Active Member

At the same time I wonder if distortion is maybe the reason why independent artists like tape. If they want picture perfect clarity, CD's already exist.
    But with tape, you get a nice blanket of hiss that oozes warmth, you aren't getting perfection, but rather the music just sounds better in every way.

Jorge likes this.
  7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Command8 +1!!
    Background hiss, W&F, the pleasure of cleaning heads and pinchrollers every few days, whats not to like?!! Keeps my "idle hands" from shopping for yet another "greatest" DAC or streamer

8. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

Thank you for keeping us informed with the latest in NAC's production line, Michelle. The non-Dolby-encoded new releases on pre-recorded cassette are good. My example would be Keith Richards' "Crosseyed Heart." I even dubbed a track from the tape to a mix tape compilation, I recently did, and I don't think the recipients clued in the track was dubbed from a pre-recorded tape.

[​IMG]

Nando.

9. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

I've been listening to my Guardians of the Galaxy tape and despite of having been recorded on cheap tape, it sounds good to me.
    The tape housing however, is really, very cheaply made and most likely will not stand the test of time, that I am sure of.

10. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

I think it’s more like cassette is cheap to produce and it a physical media, a lot of people want physical media these days.

Ball000 likes this.
  11. TooCooL4

I don’t think that will happen as who apart from us want to call cassettes around, most people will use their smart phones.

12. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

Give a chance to the youth my 3 year old daughter likes to play tapes a lot

Michelle Knight likes this.
  13. Risingsunproject

And she has her own ghettoblaster a sanyo m7700k she can carry around!
    Next step find her a cool girly mini ghettoblaster i am still searching preferable color pink!

14. Michelle Knight

Why the "girly pink?" I thought we'd moved beyond gender stereotyping years ago !!! Black or silver is much better. Or red. Had a nice Sanyo in a gorgeous red.

Risingsunproject likes this.
  15. Risingsunproject

Yeah red is a good idea too.What fathers have to do these days for their daughters hahahaha

Michelle Knight likes this.
  16. Risingsunproject

No stereotypes here she listens from this to iron maiden hahahahah

Chris and Michelle Knight like this.
  17. Michelle Knight

We need a button on the forum to either allow "loves" or allow up to five likes on a post.

18. Risingsunproject

Our 5 stars is this hahaha

19. TooCooL4

She is an exception rather than the rule :wink:

20. Risingsunproject

She is the devil transformed into a child hahahahhahahahaha just kidding!