1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo MGP600D belt path

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Longman, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

ianthepostie asked for some pictures of inside the Sanyo MGP600D so here they are.
    Sanyo MGP600D.JPG

Sano MGP600D top.JPG

Years of sunlight have aged this one badly. The back is the colour it all was
    when I got it.
    Sanyo MGP600D back.JPG

I like the pattern inside the cassette compartment which is so 80s.

Sanyo MGP600D detail.JPG

This was my main personal stereo throughout the 1990s. As described before
    I bought it at an Amateur Radio Rally as a faulty customer return. The only fault
    was that the metal shield on the right had moved and stuck itself on the pulley.

Before the days of Ebay you used to get companies bringing loads (sometimes literally
    a lorry load) of stuff like this to Radio rallies to offload as spares or repair.
    Annoyingly you never got the battery cover. I presume that was some arrangement
    with the manufacturers to stop people selling them as new after repairing them.

Belt change is incredibly easy for this one. Just unscrew the back and the belt
    is right in front of you waiting to be changed.

Sanyo MGP600D belt.JPG

It is a standard cassette recorder type belt (1mm?) rather than being one of the ultra thin ones used in later
    personals stereos. Annoyingly I didn't have one the right size so have ordered a pack of mixed sizes.

ianthepostie and 16s like this.
  2. 16s

16s Member

I had one of those when i was a kid, your post just reminded me. I remember i purchased a better set of head phones because the sanyo "turbo" ones couldn't handle the unit's bass output and would distort. My unit was 80's pink! After a year or 2 i replaced it with a Panasonic RQ JA-160....lovely :thumbsup:

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I found a nice picture of the two (Pink and Blue)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sanyo+mg-600d&tbm=isch&source=iu&pf=m&ictx=1&fir=2yIeNy9tpDdPTM%3A%2COAQb-unlHmXVfM%2C_&usg=__NKXBr4yMGCTXYNqX6MhAMd0P_L0=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjakor6urzXAhXDLMAKHUSlDvAQ9QEINjAD#imgrc=pXqNVNjs-CoJ6M:&spf=1510607372297

Part of an interesting Blog about Graphic Equalizers on Personal Stereos

Update - Norton keeps finding something fishy on the site (which is otherwise very good).
    View at your own risk.

https://personalhifiblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    16s likes this.
  4. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

Wow! Thank you Longman, you are a star! I have just ordered a set of mixed belts so hopefully I will be able to swap the old one out and hopefully cure the horrendous wow & flutter mine has. Will keep you posted!

5. ianthepostie

Yep, my Malwarebytes just went into meltdown when I clicked that link!

6. 16s

16s Member

GREAT site!!!!

7. ianthepostie

Well, after much trial and error with different belt sizes, I found one that sort of works. The tape now plays at the correct speed and the W&F has gone, but the rewind/FF are really slow. I guess the belt size is still a bit off but at least it plays nicely now.

8. mankamaz

mankamaz Administrator Staff Member

Hi folks

I also have a MGP600D, frontal.jpg mine is dark blue I also have another Sanyo with the same mechanic, a red MGP33 very similar to the MGP600D but without Dolby

Attached Files: