1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo MS340k MS330 Mini Boomboxes

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Andrew, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Hi everyone
    I posted a little about this in my Introduction thread but wanted to post here for more info in the right area.

I inhited this little Sanyo MS340k from my uncle, it used to be white but its a little discoloured from sitting in the sun. Its a great looking little unit and quite advanced having an auto reverse walkman cassette transport and is quite tiny. It has no inbuilt transformer rather it relies on an external wall wart or 6x AA batteries.

Anyhow the issue with this one was the tape mechanism was totally seized to the point you cannot even open the door let alone work any of the controls. It lived on a window sill so assume the sun has cooked all the grease.

I purchased a cheap pack of 30 belts off eBay and set to the mechanism with circuit board cleaner and cotton buds to break down all the dried grease stopping everything from moving. There were also some pieces which I bent when trying to take the mech away from the cassette door which I had to get back into place. I oiled the shaft of the motor and the capstan shafts and cleaned pinch rollers and heads with alcohol.

It took about 12 hours work to get the deck back into working order. Slowly cleaning away all the mess and then freeing all the mechanics and then adding more contact cleaner to break down all the goo. Lucky the springs are all mostly in tact and due to perhaps it mainly being used for radio the heads are in good condition.

I got fresh grease into the mechanism and new belts fitted. Each issue I resolved seemed to reveal a new one to be resolved. There were so many sliding cogs which would not move and buttons which someone had pushed a little too hard and bent a lever and so forth.

Originally the auto reverse would not work until I found a spring which had to be replaced. Once that was done the deck was happily changing sides without issue - I've always loved auto reverse decks. The transport is incredibly small to work on and not easy to disassemble.

There are two remaining issues, the auto reverse does not work at the end of a tape side - it just shuts off, you can manually switch sides however the unit is permamently stuck in single side play mode - not a huge deal.

The second issue is the deck runs too fast and has some wow and flutter. The belts are new but im not sure of their exact size and I am unsure how to adjust the play speed of the motor, there is a pot inside the motor i can see from the back but its tiny and when i touch it with a screw driver the motor goes increcibly quick like its shorted - do all decks usually have some adjustment pot on the circuit board or do some use the motor..?

Is anyone familiar with these units or could offer advice on belt sizes? What i love about this unit is how small it is, I have recorded some records to tape and have been enjoying using it on my bedside to listen to music from time to time. Any help appreciated... Pics attached!

Drew

Attached Files: