1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sharp 5p 37h

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by davebush, Jan 16, 2017.

1. davebush

davebush Active Member

Hi everyone...

As requested by a member, here is the conversion i carried out to put an lcd screen in a tv box

P1010447.JPG P1010448.JPG P1010458.JPG P1010459.JPG P1020019.JPG P1020021.JPG

Northerner and Risingsunproject like this.
  2. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

As requested Davebush delivers!
    What are the small lights on the side?
    What screen did you use to fit?
    Any other alteration you made?
    Thanks for taking the time showing us rookies.I feel loved in this forum!:worship:

3. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Saw the original thread...still cool tho :thumbsup:

4. Risingsunproject

8c8514f1c02e5a65bee20f6ab35a0faf.jpg

I don't mind watching tv and music videos on that either.Imagine the possibilities!

5. Patron

Patron Active Member

I remember this one, great job Davebush .
    By the way Dave, you still have it?

6. davebush

davebush Active Member

yes...still got it and its for sale

7. davebush

davebush Active Member

lights on the side is the pickup for the remote control i think....not looked at it for about 4 years

8. Risingsunproject

Giving life to those machines and let them breath some 2017 air that is what makes fixing and collecting fun!
    Although i am against many exterior changes i see some people do.Keep it simple the boxes are already supercool!
    Maybe a colored led display here and there and maybe some bluetooth remote that does not alter the exterior thats about it for me
    And always keep the cassette player!

9. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Hi Dave

Could you do a similar conversion to a machine with a bigger screen?, i.e., I just came by a Panasonic TR1200G which has a 12" b/w screen, it could also do with some means (Scart?) of playing video/DVD through it as the 'Ant' socket doesn't work for this. Such a conversion might even make the unit lighter in weight if it's just a flat board rather than the deep tube.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  10. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

While you are waiting for Dave's answer a couple of ideas:

To play through the antenna socket either buy a modulator or use one built into a VCR which is what 2channelhero appears to be doing here http://stereo2go.org/forums/threads/sears-tv-micro-cassette-boombox-rare-bird.620/

The fact that he is using American spec equipment will only affect the connection and channel. The principle is the same. A VCR is probably the cheapest. Last week my local charity shop had a small HiFi Philips (probably one of the last ones they made) in great condition complete with remote for £10.

I would guess you would have plenty of room for an LCD conversion. I have looked at doing this with a JVC Videosphere (it has been done already). https://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=141687

The two main problems are finding a TV with the right size panel, and the fact that the LCD panel will be rectangular rather than CRT tube shape. Most conversions seem to end up with a smaller panel and some kind of bezel to fill the gaps.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Risingsunproject likes this.
  11. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Panasonic TR 1200G.JPG

I've already got the VCR/DVD recorder so that's not the problem, getting it to play through the TV on the box is so where do I get the modulator from and is it an external device?, I got the VCR/DVD from Hughes Electrical back in November but not having a TV I was hoping it would work through the computer, that wasn't to be so I set out to get a portable TV and thought one in a ghetto blaster would do nicely.

The Panasonic TR1200G all works, radio, cassette and TV but can't get anything on the TV for obvious reasons - it's analogue so what Dave did with one would be ideal for mine except this one is four times the size and weighs 13.9kg at the moment on my LCD bathroom scale. A 12" screen is easier to watch than a 3", lol, I'm nearly 60. There's a bloke here who does TV repairs, I don't know if he could do the conversion to digital, LCD and colour is not over important, would just be nice. There was a Sharp 10P35H on eBay but they wanted a monkey for that, I got this one for £58 including postage - BARGAIN!

Two choices here, I could still persevere with trying to run it through the HP HDX9000 or utilise the TV in the Panasonic, I'd rather do the latter now as I've managed to get one cheap.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  12. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

The VCR/DVD machine I've got is a Panasonic DMR EZ45V if that's anything to go on

13. Longman

Having the model number is useful. I just looked in the online manual and found

"The RF cable cannot be
    used for showing pictures
    from the DVD Recorder.
    The unit must be connected
    by another means e.g. Scart
    cable to show pictures from
    the DVD Recorder on the
    television set."

Earlier models like my Panasonic EX75 which I left at my ex girlfriends did include a modulator. The EX77 I bought to replace it didn't.
    I guess they thought most people spending £300 on a DVD recorder would have a new enough TV to have a Scart socket or other video input
    (which will also give better quality).

You asked what a modulator is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-U...419044?hash=item1c41b44b24:g:jWwAAOSw54xUW5Fd

Before buying I would check that both the modulator and your TV have UK Spec sound (which was actually different to the rest of Europe).
    As I suggested an old VCR or similar would actually be cheaper. Back in the 1980s I was using my Mitsubishi VCR to feed video into a 1973 Philips TV.

If you wanted to be absolutely sure a VCR had one look for a tuning screw by the aerial sockets. On later models it was adjusted and even turned off using on screen menus which could lead to a Chicken and Egg situation.

Hope this helps. I would guess anyone doing TV repairs for a living would charge a small fortune to do a conversion. However, it is quite likely they might have a suitable VCR for a couple of quid. In this application it doesn't even matter if the VCR deck doesn't work.

14. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

So it looks like I'm in an impossible situation then with this setup unless a scart socket can be fitted to the ghetto blaster, if it even had a yellow video phono jack it'd be something, I've got a scart to red, white and yellow phono's.

I'll have to get a telly, don't need a massive one because all I wanted to do was rip videos onto DVD and needed something on which to see what I was doing, I've had the VCR/DVD three months now and haven't been able to use it once, can it absolutely not run through a computer?, I bought an HDMI lead because it has an HDMI socket, no go.

Any time I say life is shit I get told to be positive - well I'm positively sick of it!, it would be cheaper to arrange my own funeral.

15. Longman

No. The first modulator I showed should allow you to connect any modern video kit to your Panasonic TR1200G.
    Having said that I haven't tried that particular model so don't blame me if you buy one and it doesn't work.
    You should be able to get a suitable lead to connect it to your DVD recorder from somewhere like Poundland
    or your local market.

A modulator is effectively a miniature TV transmitter with a very low power output.
    When VCRs and first appeared there was no reason for TVs to have anything other than an aerial socket so the VCR needed a way of connecting to it. Nearly all VCRs also had inputs for things like a cable box.

Even relatively modern TVs like the Philips discoverer didn't have any Video inputs.

I guess it was only about the year 2000 when SCART / composite completely took over from RF connections.

16. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Did you upload pictures of what you're talking about?, if so I don't see them ("The first modulator I showed"), I'll upload other elevations of the machine so you can see all the connections it's got.

of Panasonic TR 1200G left rear.JPG Panasonic TR 1200G rear.JPG Panasonic TR 1200G side sockets.JPG

17. Longman

There was a link to an Ebay buy it now listing for a "Mercury" brand modulator.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-U...419044?hash=item1c41b44b24:g:jWwAAOSw54xUW5Fd

£22.59 including postage
    They have sold 622 and it is getting 4.5 stars in the reviews so it sounds reasonable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/urw/product-reviews/1004785001?_itm=121361419044.

p.s As you can see from some of the reviews Sky receivers still use RF for Multiroom.
    TV coax is cheap cable, and even the most modern TVs can still receive from it.

18. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Just bought the modulator and a low priced cassette, in the morning I'll nip in Poundland to see if they do TV coax patch leads otherwise it's Wilko's where I get many leads from.

19. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Well I got the modulator this morning but what a surprise!, now I've got another fucking expense, the TV has stopped working altogether, I got sound from the VCR/DVD for a while and no picture, then nothing, I think the tube went first because there was a thin vertical line down the middle of the screen. What more proof do I need that this world really hates my guts? The modulator is ok but now I've got nothing to use it with. FML

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  20. davebush

davebush Active Member

Well i would probably go for a tablet with a usb input on it if you can get the right size tablet to fill the hole..........extend the socket and mount on the outside of the casing....then you can play all manner of stuff