1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp GF-777 No Power

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by jetl3on, Oct 27, 2017.

1. jetl3on

jetl3on New Member

Hi,

Just bought a GF777 power only comes on when the cassette play button is pressed and all that comes out is a buzzing sound from the left channel speakers, nothing else works, the power switch makes no difference. After removing the rear, its obviously been repaired before, is there a circuit diagram or FAQ for these somewhere or youtube clip on power related issues and where to check for voltage, perhaps I can narrow down the issue to a specific area?

Any advice appreciated on where to start, I have tools, contact cleaner and patience at the ready.

Cant wait to get started.

Thanks

Jet

Cassette2go likes this.
  2. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

email me at jamespierceiii@hotmail.com and I can send you everything you need to know about this model sharp gf-777 in a .pdf format :thumbup:

3. Cassette2go

I only have about 6.5 Gig's of pdf's yes some may be duplicate and here is a screenshot of most of them organized
    27 October 2017 screenshto Sharp boombox pdf
    27 October 2017 screenshto Sharp boombox pdf.jpg
    yes I have info on a few boombox brands

4. jetl3on

jetl3on New Member

Email sent, thanks for the prompt response.

Since starting this, manage to get some movement on the VU and Battery indicator, and radio echo light comes on, and buzzing has disappeared, now just static sound.

Hopefully a good sign.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Cassette2go likes this.
  5. Cassette2go

If you clean out the recording bar switch behind the deck that records I am certain that you can get a lot of functions back in your sound as NOBODY ever cleans this switch, just a thought and yes it is dammed difficult to get to but well worth it when the switch is clean once again - don't believe me? Just ask anybody else
    DAM hotmail Your message wasn't delivered to anyone because it's too large. The limit is 35 MB. Your message is 37 MB.
    friend me in fb as there I know I can send large files through the messenger https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001056918572

6. jetl3on

jetl3on New Member

Don't laugh but I'm not on FB, can you split into 2 emails please?

Radio is now working, left speaker channel is ok, but right speaker channel very very faint. Speaker works and PCB output works, balance does not fade sound from left to right, it stays the same level?

Can you describe the recording bar switch, what does it look like? Its not the tape control buttons?

Thanks

7. Cassette2go

well I do not have specific pictures of where the bar is at but I do have picture of mine when I was inside mine last and I have opened it 2 different times
    here is the first time
    IMG_2233 Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 Left end back case.JPG IMG_2234 Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 back case.JPG IMG_2236 Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 Antenna fail from shipping.JPG IMG_2237 fm antenna detail Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 Inside back case.JPG IMG_2238 Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 Inside back case.JPG IMG_2239 Right Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 Inside back case.JPG IMG_2240 Left Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 Inside back case.JPG IMG_2241 Amplifier Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 Inside back case.JPG IMG_2242 Chip ampflier Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 Inside back case.JPG IMG_2245 AM Antenna Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 Inside back case.JPG IMG_2246 Tweeter Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 Inside back case.JPG IMG_2247 Face tweeter Sharp GF-777 27 Febuary 2014 Inside back case.JPG

thid and Longman like this.
  8. Cassette2go

IMG_6805 Sharp GF-6060 behind tape deck main board view
    Look at the center of the picture beneath the Yellow plastic is the thin SILVER recording bar switch but this is in a Sharp GF-6060.
    There is a similar bar switch in EVERY Boombox out there that plays casettes and that long switch is what need's Cleaned from end to end to get your sound back I gaurentee it.
    IMG_6805 Sharp GF-6060 behind tape deck main board view.JPG

Longman likes this.
  9. Cassette2go

text me for the big service manual sharp gf - 777 service manual @ 713-460-1717 I know I can send it through there

10. jetl3on

jetl3on New Member

Found a bar that looks very similar behind input sockets, there is a piece of plastic that slides left/right. Any idea how you go about cleaning it, apart from spraying contact cleaner at it, which does not feel very effective, its fixed to the board.

Cassette2go likes this.
  11. Cassette2go

where you spray is at the end's under the part that slides and you need to spray your cleaner until it comes out the other end then work it a few times followed by canned air and then repeat as many times you like to do so until it snaps back crisply , but at least twice I do these or more depending upon the amount of dirt and crud found inside with first opened and even the really clean ones need this done // and sinc I have all the trouble to get to this switch I then clean - blow out - lube - all o the rest of the pots and switches and lever's and what not that moves behind the panel to ensure that all is gonna work as I clean even those that I may never use like the manual recording pots and the mixing pots EVERY-thing gets cleaned and I replace the belts too but in a 777 its tedious to do.

12. jetl3on

jetl3on New Member

ok, thanks.

I have removed the tape mechanism and 4 tiny ball bearings fell out, which sounds serious, any idea where these might have come from and what part needs replacing?

13. Cassette2go

Got Picture? of everything so far that has happened, 1. before you got to the bearings, 2. then the bearing's are all over? 3. you found 4 in what pattern from where they came from. 5. NO Pictures taken before during and after ( well you can now take pictures ) but if no picture taken then there is no history of what you started with before the bearing came out of where? I NEED picture's :worship: Or we can just dwell upon where these little things came from forever...

14. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The only help I can give is that they might not be from the most obvious place.
    Ball Bearings together with springs are sometimes used to give the click action in switches.

A final thought is were they from the GF777 at all ?
    Repair techs used to find all sorts of strange things in VCRs from homes with children.

Cassette2go likes this.
  15. jetl3on

jetl3on New Member

The play button wont stay down on one of the decks, could that be where the ball bearings came from?

[​IMG]

Something I noticed, first image shows the white bits of plastic holding a white lever of some sort, but the lever is missing from image 2 of the other deck, is that normal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

Cassette2go likes this.
  16. Cassette2go

I have not taken my apart to this point so I do not know if those plastic levers are needed to be duplicated in each deck.

17. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

That looks like the record lever to me so there isn't one in both decks....damn it's years since i did one of these.......those 4 black things aren't ball bearings but im not sure what they are

18. jetl3on

jetl3on New Member

You may have a point there Raheem, I should RTFM, there is no lever pictured in the manual on the same side and perhaps those steel ball things are as Longman suggested, they may not be part of the GF777.

Regards the play button not staying down, it also moves halfway when the RWD or FWD buttons are depressed, so perhaps a sticky issue? If appropriate care is taken, can I use white grease on all the white plastic parts and buttons of the tape mechanism, is it safe and recommended to use in these areas?

Jet

19. jetl3on

jetl3on New Member

Having searched the site, my issues are possibly related to idlers, or that big plastic wheel to the right of the spool, maybe? I have cleaned and scrubbed the rubbers, but play simply judders along.....

Anyone know of a europe based supplier for these 2 rubber rings?

Thanks

20. Cassette2go

dappletoft aka Malvern Audio
    stores.ebay.com/Malvern-Hills-Audio

www.ebay.com/usr/dappletoft?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
    I bought these below from the uk with success
    www.ebay.com/itm/301183086899?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    tire? www.ebay.com/itm/17-mm-Diameter-x-1-6-mm-Square-section-Rubber-Belt-Hard-to-Find-Brand-new/301085324495?hash=item461a1574cf:g:nlgAAMXQeW5TX9D2

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017