1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp GF-9191 sound stops

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by kicker, Jan 20, 2017.

1. kicker

kicker New Member

Hi there, first time back on the new forum.
    I have an issue with my GF9191, after playing for a short while the sound stops, the meter is still responding to the music but nothing from the speakers.
    My brother was using it a while back and I think he may have run it a bit loud, does it sound like it could be an overload/thermal shutdown kind of problem?
    Cheers for any advice
    Jeremy

2. superlew

superlew Member

Could be any number of things. Does it fade out slowly, or just quit without warning?
    I don't have any definitive advice, but I'd start with the phones jack and external speaker jacks. I'd also try hitting the record key a few times after the sound quits. Then work all switches to see if there's any change / improvement. Might just need a cleaning - might be something else.
    ...But switches and contacts are a logical place to start. I had a similar problem with my Samsung ST 329 that turned out to be dirty external speaker jacks.

3. kicker

kicker New Member

Not sure how it cuts out, I only notice once it's not playing unfortunately.
    When I first got it I cleaned and lubed all the switches and sliders and it worked well, I'll open it up and have a look.
    Hopefully it's something simple but if not I think I'll have an electronics person look at as I quite enjoy using it.

4. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy New Member

5. kicker

kicker New Member

I finally opened it up for a look, I couldn't see anything suspicious (not that I have an experienced eye or anything). A wire (green one) from the tape deck was not connected so I put that back and I worked the record bar quite a few times then put it all back together and it's working again, not sure for how long but I had it playing for about 40 minutes with no trouble, more testing is in order :)

Cheers for all the suggestions

6. superlew

superlew Member

Sounds like the green wire was a ground. Did the deck "hum" before you re-connected it?
    Hit that record switch with a couple of spritzes of Deoxit D5.
    Remember: All audio runs through that switch.

7. kicker

kicker New Member

No noticeable hum that I remember. I'll get in there again and give it another clean, the D5 is hard to find where I am but I do have some D100L I can use