1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp GF9090 - Wow and flutter

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Atomtan, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Atomtan

Atomtan New Member

Anyone got any thoughts?

I documented my renovation of this box on the old site last year, and really love it, but it still has some noticeable sound distortion and wow and flutter on tape playback. This can be more or less, depending upon tapes used, but I try using known good pre-recorded tapes as my benchmark and compare to other good boxes to check the tape integrity.

The box was in a shocking state when I got it, and to get it playing at all, I changed:

- Capstan tyre (using the fuel line cut to match tyre removed)
    - All belts
    - Pinch roller
    - Cleaned / demagnetized heads
    - Lubed mechanism where it seemed to have been lubed before

The pinch roller was a slightly different size to the old one, but I read on another forum that this shouldn't matter. What I did do, which may have been a mistake is slightly bend the retaining spring for this roller when I put it back together as the old roller was very worn and could easily be stopped by hand.

Any thoughts gratefully received as I listen to this box more than any at the moment, and would love to get its tape playback up to the best it can be.

2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I have a 9292, same deck and i had issues with mine to. I did all of the above you mentioned and relubed thoroughly, i still has a bit of w&f and i ended up stripping it again doing the capstan tyre again (i had cut it too big and it was dragging), lubed again more thoroughly, gave the motor a bit of watch oil and it was fine after and sounds great now. Im not sure which step did it but it definitely worked.

Before i stripped it the second time i could visually see the tape wobbling in play mode if i played a tape with the case off and watched it under a magnifier. You need to eliminate any disturbances in the transport.

3. Atomtan

Atomtan New Member

T-ster, thank you. I have decided to go through it one more time and carefully study the mechanism for movement as I proceed.

I ordered some watch oil as another tool for my box and another set of new belts as I felt the set I purchased for the first rebuild seemed a little slacker than I wanted.

4. T-ster

I hope you get it fixed. I definitely recommend playing it with the case off, watch the spindles to see if they rotate smooth and evenly, if not check the tyres and see if they need a rough up with a nail file. Then put a tape in and monitor the tape with a magnifier to see if you can detect and movement. You'll get it sorted i bet :thumbsup:

5. Atomtan

Atomtan New Member

T-ster - I salute you.

I ordered a second set of belts from a guy in Portugal that arrived next day, so last night the 9090 came apart for what I hope is one last time.

I decided to follow your lead and do every job again, and test it with multiple tapes before re-assembly. I am probably luckier than most as my old idler tyre was extracted in tact last time I rebuilt it, so I could take exact measurements from it. I think the replacement I made before was a fraction too big when I looked at it. Interestingly, the fuel line tyre I made before had yellowed significantly in less than a year and was not as malleable as it is before fitting. I changed the belts, cleaned and lubed anything and everything.

End result, slapped in the Twenty One Pilots tape I made to spoof my daughter that you can still but new artist cassettes and got her to have a listen. The wow and flutter was done, and the sound quality was superb. She gave it the thumbs up, and wanted to take the tape to school to show her mates!

Job done, really pleased, went online to look to buy some favorite re-recorded before the price of them explodes........

Top man, thank you.

6. T-ster

Thats brilliant news im glad she is all working again, fit for another 20 years with any luck. I love the 9090 to, its a great size and beautifully styled box and was so worth saving. Good job mate :thumbsup:

7. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

I just like to know which model this is as these Older sharp model's are similar in facial appearances, that I just like to see this model and I think I have the correct one that I am holding. IMG_0236 James holding posted Sharp GF-9090 Wow and flutter 12 July 2017.JPG another ( this thread needs a picture of the model in discussion where there was not one before ) Camera canon EOS 70D 12 July 2017

sickly_b likes this.
  8. Atomtan

Atomtan New Member

Yes, that's essentially the same as mine except I have the different grills.

Quite a room you have there...........