1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp GF9494 renovation

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by bugpat, Jun 1, 2017.

1. bugpat

bugpat New Member

Hi guys,

I recently acquired this big box, wishing to use it at the end of the month, for an indoor aeromodelism exhibition, where we will be 9 guys flying with homemade "angry birds plane", while playing music of the game (on a tape, of course !)...

So that was a very good excuse to buy this boombox !!! [​IMG]

It was in good cosmetic condition, except the metallic faceplate.

I had to change the capstan tyre (but as an aeromodeller, I've got RC fuel line), and the pinch roller too.

A lot of cleaning, removing tons of dust, erasing stains, respraying, polishing, soldering... And I added a li-po battery, 14,8V - 5000mAh with a low batt alarm giving a lot of autonomy (I don't really know how much time, but more than 3 hours)...
    This box has been fixed before, I found an underpowered 12v 0,62A PSU inside !!! I guess it should be 15V and more than 1A ??? The sound on high volume was bad, and is now louder and far better while operating on battery...

I will post a query later on "boombox & parts wanted" for a faceplate and psu...

Here are some pictures :

The picture of eBay, where I bought it. You can't really see the very marked faceplate... I removed it and tried to fix it. It's better, but far from perfect now. If I can't find another one, I think I'll sand it and polish, and will redo the letters (with a plotter to make masks and black spray)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The too small PSU :

[​IMG]

Final result (for the moment) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installing and operating on battery :

[​IMG]

And with the low-batt alarm :

[​IMG]

That's all for today !

And sorry for my strange english, I'm french !!! [​IMG]

2. bugpat

bugpat New Member

This is a repost of the topic I started on 10/23/15
    By the way I'm still after a faceplate :biggrin:

3. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

Fantastic work! I wish I had some of your talent!

4. bugpat

bugpat New Member

Hi all,
    I'm still after this faceplate for my "Scarface 9494", can't find one here in France. If you do have one, please send me a PM with your conditions. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

5. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Nice work. These are some of the best-looking radios, because of the chrome trim around the speakers.

6. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Hmm any info on adding the rechargeable battery? Are they easy to wire in?

7. bugpat

bugpat New Member

Yes, it's really easy to add a battery : Just 2 wires to solder, one end where the + and - arrive on the motherboard (or on the battery compartiment) and a plug compatible with your battery the other end. I choosed a 4S lipo (14,8v) 5000 mAh. Don't really know how much autonomy that will give, but more than 3 hours...
    Li-po batteries are powerful and small, this is a great evolution, particularly when you're in aeromodelism :biggrin:
    The only bad things are that first, you need a dedicated Li-po charger and second, you must not over discharge the battery (that will kill it). So I used this little "Lipo saver" which will beep loudly when time to stop will arrive...Everything goes in the battery compartiment.
    I bought all that stuff at hobbyking, big online RC model shop, and you can choose to buy in their Hong Kong, United Kingdom, USA, or Holland online shop...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017