1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I be mad?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I was bidding on this nice looking no-reserve Marantz but lost in the middle of the night last week. The unit has been relisted by the same seller, this time with a reserve.

s-l1600.jpg

2. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy New Member

Not mad, it did not sell obviously so now you can make it yours since it's re-listed!

3. Mister X

I was outbid in the middle of the night by a bidder that seemed to back out of the sale, how else can you explain it being immediately relisted (by the original seller) but this time with a reserve?

4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Probably it was not sold. Seller's friend can outbid you and after the sale is ended everything get cancelled and this time seller place a reserve price. :iconconfused:

5. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

^^^ Very true ..

6. Patron

Patron Active Member

It's just a trick

Brutus442 likes this.
  7. Mister X

Good news! The box went back out for bids, for some reason I was the only bidder during this second round and I won! Not only that but it was 20 bones less than the first auction! I didn't want to say anything until it flew half-way around the world to get here but it finally arrived. Like Auric Goldfinger, I'm slowly amassing my gold collection... P1040790.jpg

autoreverser and nickeccles like this.
  8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Good to hear that your patience paid off.

From your comment I am guessing that this is Marantz's famous "Champagne Gold". On my screens it looks silver.

Going off topic do you know that Mr Goldfinger was a real person whose architecture was disliked by Ian Fleming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernő_Goldfinger

9. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

nice box. i personally like the robot ;-)

10. Mister X

There seems to be maybe three different "Gold Standard" colors Longman.... I own several Marantz Stereo Pieces and have done side by side before. This unit seems to be from the latter years where the gold is kind of a silver-gold, not a traditional gold of the the late 70 units. I've got two component tape decks, nearly identical except for the model number. The older Superscope-Marantz is the nice creamy traditional gold but the newer Phillips-Marantz is the silver-gold that you see above. I have to guess around 81 they started changing the colors.