1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show me the love! Infinity Intimate Stereo!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Valentin likes this.
  2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...and the free-falling parachuter is probably seriously using the "noise-reduction" :lollegs:

this Infinity is an Akai-aka with dolby, that's all :scratch2:

Radio Raheem likes this.
  3. Mister X

I always thought it was ironic that some of these big guys like Infinity would put their stamp on these clunky walkmans that seemed outdated by a few years when they came out, although I think the Infinity was the first unit to market with Dolby.

4. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Isn't Infinity just a speaker manufacturer?

5. Mister X

Radio Raheem likes this.
  6. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Argh those speakers tho, mmmmmm

7. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Wow, I 've never seen its box.
    I have one in mint condition and restored but don't have the headphones and the box. I think this one could be sold for 500-600 euros for sure. It's a museum piece...

8. Mister X

I just got an email, the price is reduced to $495.00 USD!
    Here's the headphones, I have to believe they are even more rare.
    infinity headphones.jpg

I love that the radio cartridge has it's own "cassette case." This is a different old listing so I don't know if this is included with the above sale.

1469005-vintage-infinity-intimate-stereo-cassette-player-model-rs002.jpg

9. Mister X

I was digging into Infinity and KLH a little more, it seems like they made a deal with Kyoto Ceramics (Kyocera) who also bought Trident and Cybernet around the same time. The reason why we have a few differently branded models that all look the same. It looks like this was around 1981-1982 but I don't think any of the brands really did a lot in sales. Trident may be the boombox brand but I don't know.

KLH 1980-12-20-Billboard-Page-0120 pdf.png
    High-Fidelity-1982-09-OCR-Page-0024 pdf.png

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    autoreverser likes this.
  10. autoreverser

ha, a little bit more and i got ou in for Cloneman- researches :hi

Mister X likes this.
  11. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

There is nothing special about this walkman. Its a good unit with all accessories but I wont pay more than $100 for this one.

Mister X likes this.
  12. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Totally agree Sir, it looks mickey mouse imho.....those speakers look sweet though

Mister X, autoreverser and Boodokhan like this.
  13. Mister X

I found mine at the thrift store a long time ago when there was very little information about them. I do think they made it very attractive with brown and gold (and there's another version that was just posted) and it's a monster, maybe my largest portable. These are the units that are more fun to find in the wild then pay silly money for plus these were advertised in the back of magazines as close-outs, I have to believe there's storage units with lots of NOS somewhere out there.

14. Radio Raheem

portable what do you mean mr x???, all i see is a mickey mouse walkman my friend

autoreverser likes this.
  15. Mister X

I consider "portables" to be portable cassette players, and boomboxes to be portable radio cassettes. About 1/2 of my collection is mickey-mouse but I still love them. I feel the real mickey mouse stuff came out in the 90's, cheap builds with horrible design cues. Even these early copy-cat models are very robust builds and will outlast anything made 10-20 years later.

autoreverser likes this.
  16. Radio Raheem

Well im glad you had yours cheap lad...those pioneer amps have shot up in value i wish i had kept them both, i have just bought a crown 970, always wanted a fully working one but i had to pay ebay prices yet again grrr, ebay must be making billions of people like us lad

Mister X likes this.
  17. Mister X

I should have said my mickey mouse stuff is the 70s-80s Hong Kong/Taiwan stuff, not the 90's junk.

I count my blessings everyday, I have a ton of vintage audio, 20 years ago, people were lucky to get $5 for it, now it's worth a fortune. My friends used to laugh at my stuff, thought I was crazy for hanging on to old tech.

Nice pickup on the Crown, those seem to be the gold-standard these days and go for big money. They are much more rare over here and don't come up for sale often.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  18. Radio Raheem

the crown lad....i have had 3 one ended up in disaster and was sold the second was just unrepearable and sadly it's parts in my back room and this one and yes it cost a fortune...the crown 850 is nearly as good but no handle

what i want is 90's sound in an 80's box but not possible...i actually like the 970 as much as the m90, im just not keen on gray, what were they thinking lol

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  19. autoreverser

folks, all of those f***ing cassette-units we‘re discussing here are portable in some way - don‘t tell me you didn‘t find a way carrying the unit of desire home from fleamarket, bootsale, dump or whatever when it was necessary -and don‘t come me with „ bought on the net“ - even then it was delivered by some postman, fedex or any other delivery-bodybuilder :nodding:

that Infinity is nice, it‘s value i personally tax same way as all of my „Clonemen“. it‘s just one of those attempts of a -so called - big name (Infinity) to grabe a piece of the big 80’es upcoming walkman- market.

don‘t forget, that Infinity had some so called „reference“- speakers in the very popular hifi- market in those days, but never made it really big - they thought, a portable stereo cassette player would do (...i got news: it didn‘t).

i would have bought it in the thrift-store, too (... in fact i even had one...), as i think it‘s more rare than any lousy DD

Radio Raheem likes this.
  20. Radio Raheem

If you like big walkmans auto for christ sake get a deal on a working d6c you won't regret it.....just because it's rare doesn't make it valuable imho....i have the only pair of knickers worn by madonna in the 80's, doesn't make it valuable lol

Mister X and autoreverser like this.