1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silver SR5000L

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by mrp32Dave, Jan 18, 2017.

1. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Got this nice little mini last week, but been waiting for belts to arrive and a new motor, finished the job late last night. It's actually a very nice quality box, well built with a decent deck and has bass and treble sliders rather than just a tone control, sounds really good nice highs and decent bass and goes pretty loud,
    Can't find any info on this model but it has the same deck as the SR8000 and similar styling so must be from the same time. I was a bit stuck for a motor looked in all my parts boxes and spares that were 9 volts and they were all CW I needed a CCW, anyway I stuck the motor model number into Ebay not expecting a match, but a seller in Germany had 3 NOS motors so I bought two result :yesss: . Don't know what was wrong with the original motor wouldn't spin with power applied and had a tight spot, didn't smell burnt out maybe a mechanical failure, I will open it to see.
    Overall it's in really nice condition, only one small issue the tape counter reset button has been snapped off, but very pleased :biggrin:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Nice looking Silver, like this brand by Shin-Shirasuna, a kind of special,
    a bit of pity that they have't produced a large line of boxes throughout their life cycle.

3. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Yeah thats a lovely Mini Dave, i love the accessability of a good mini as well, i find i use mine quite a lot :thumbsup:

4. mrp32Dave

Yeah it is very nice, and has some unusual features the cassette door damping is adjustable very similar to the Sonys FH-7's, the speakers also have two locating lugs that push in and turn to lock these are damped so when you unlock them they don't just spring back out they slowly reappear, overkill but cool.

5. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

The styling reminds me of Teac. Very clean lines and refined. Very nice find!!

6. Jvc floyd

Jvc floyd Member

I love these high-quality compact boxes especially the three pieces.

7. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Love these & shit Dave, I have a scrap 5000 & 8000 with complete cassette decks, both too far gone, cosmetics dreadful :( The 8000 speakers went to a S2go member a while ago!!

Anyway if you need any 5000/8000 bits let me know :)

& I want your 5000 :lollegs: :lollegs: :lollegs:

I love that model!!

8. mrp32Dave

I did think you would like this Nick, sorry it's a keeper, unlikely to find another in this condition and only £12. The brushed aluminium fronts on this one are hardly marked, I can imagine what they would look like with a bit of abuse.

Thanks, If you have the tape counter for the 5000 :biggrin: that would be great, and if I ever need other parts I'll let you know.
    Should have asked here first for parts, but these are not common so I didn't, but it was nice to fit a NOS motor.

9. nickeccles

I can send you the complete (but dismantled) 5000 minus speakers no problem but I will look to see if counter is easy to remove!

If you ever decide to part with it, there's a lot more than £12 here for it :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

10. mrp32Dave

Thanks Nick, much appreciated whatever's easier for you, the counter is mounted to the back of the front panel.

TC.jpg

If I ever decide to part with it you'll be the first to know, but I wouldn't want more than I paid for it :nodding:

If you decide to send the whole dismantled unit I'll obviously pay the postage plus whatever you want for it, I will PM you my address, thanks again.

11. NevOne

NevOne Member

I have one of those as well, was my first Silver and was totally surprised of the build quality. The sound is bigger than this box, surprising as well.
    My unit does something rather strange, when pressing play on a cassette, the first two or three seconds are played at slow speed, after this, it starts playing normally, as expected. I didn't worried that much about this, but since you have one, is yours behaving the same way? If not, since you opened it, could you perhaps guess what mine has?

12. mrp32Dave

No mine does not this, but I have installed new belts as the originals had turned to goo, maybe the capstan belt is too loose or tight and struggles to reset the head lifting gear once play has started slowing it down, how quickly do the heads move up?

13. NevOne

NevOne Member

well, I am not sure and I don't have it around to check...I guess I will leave it this way and fix it once it's actually broken, 2 seconds of playing slow is not that bad :)

14. Mark Wysong

Mark Wysong Member

That's a really nice looking boombox. Never seen one like that before!

15. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

I like it, groovy looking box, congrats Dave

16. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Cool box, those speakers look similar to the SR8000, same gray wizzer cone in the middle. Wonder if they're the same?

17. nickeccles

Shit Dave, I completely forgot about this!! :(

Pm me over the weekend & I'll get Big Tits to fish it out of the spares cupboard!!

18. NevOne

NevOne Member

The speakers are not the same as the SR8000/8800.
    The 8XXX is probably 5-6 times bigger than this one.
    This one is in the Sony ZX7/Sansui FX700 size

19. nickeccles

Yeah I have an 8000 too Nev with a knackered tape deck - I donated it's speakers to a member here ages ago!!

20. NevOne

NevOne Member

Such a shame, that 8000 was worth saving. My 8800 has both decks running fine, never opened it, they were working when I got it. That's a good thing as I am not such a technical guy.

nickeccles likes this.