1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some of my Discman

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by mrp32Dave, Mar 8, 2017.

1. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

I was a bit bored so I thought I get out a few of my Discman and some accessories.
    Models from left to right on first picture.

D-50 Boxed, D-30 boxed, D-T40 boxed,
    D-30 White, D-30, D-T40, D-40, D-50 battery case,
    D-20 White, D-20, D-22, D-11, D-5
    D-14, D-5A, D-50 Red, D-5A, D-90
    D-33, D-100 White, D-150, D-99, D-88 Complete
    CPA-2 Cassette adapter boxed, D-150, RM-DM2 wired remote boxed, Discman strap sealed, EBP-360 AA battery case, D-88
    BP-2EX battery, EBP-2 AA battery adapter, 2 early Discman straps, RM-DM1 remote and receiver, BP-200 battery
    EBP-300 battery case

I do have all the soft and hard cases for these but they don't photograph well, so left them out.
    I also have quite quite a few more other makes and a few more boxed Discman, but they are in a cupboard behind a pile of boxed Walkman, too much effort to get them out.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    chrispdx, sickly_b, Jorge and 3 others like this.
  2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

don't have a cd in the house, nice collection

3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

great collection, Thanks for sharing the photos.

4. mankamaz

mankamaz Administrator Staff Member

Impressive!!!

Your collection is really amazing, I have some boxed discmans but not as much as you

We are really interested to see your other boxed discmans...:ok

5. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Whoah! Impressive collection of Discmans. I especially like the white ones...

6. mrp32Dave

So I have dug some more boxed Discman and a couple of Philips nothing special, but still nice to have boxed units. They were at the back of one of my cupboards on the bottom of a display cabinet, it took a while so I I also took some pictures of what I had to move, not sure it was worth the effort :scratch2:
    it's gonna take a while to put everything back :shock

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Jorge, Brandon, enryfox and 1 other person like this.
  7. mrp32Dave

The white ones are my favourites :biggrin: I think the white D-20 is very very rare I have never seen another, not even a picture!

8. walkman archive

Super cool collection of boxed units. The CP-88 seems nice, as well as the TCM-600 and other newer SONYs :thumbsup:

9. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

fantastic
    you got great collection of boxed Walkmans
    I love that mini Hitachi CP-88. The only one i saw before in a complete package belonged to walkgirl that sadly hasn't registered yet.
    mrp32Dave place some pictures of your Walkmans taken out from box to see them clearly. I cannot see some of them well or it is not clear what model are

10. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

This is quite a collection!!! How did you manage to collect them all?!? The only gaps I see are Denons and D25, D555, everything else worth mention is here... Wow!!!!!!

11. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Great collection ! Many of these early discmans with all metal case are of exceptional build,design and sound quality.

12. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

:eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2: It looks like these are just cluttering up your flat. I'd better help you clean house. I'll have the red D50, Discman carrying strap . :lollegs::worship::worship:

Incredible collection Dave. Thanks for posting these pics!

Command8 and Boodokhan like this.
  13. A O

A O Active Member

Wow, very nice. We forget how nice and solid these things were. Isn't it funny how things move on, who'd have thought CD would ever be 'old technology'?

I really like the white ones, what is the white model top left-ish?

14. walkman archive

@mpr32dave I think you should upload these photos also to the walkman (public) media album so they don't get forgotten in this thread...

15. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

ojee,
    the top of discman of all brands. it's 1991 till 1993. forget the rest..
    perhaps tis info is to valuable.

16. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Not True!!! The only Discman from '91-93 worth having is Denon DCP-150, "The Rest is Noise" (my fav book by Alex Ross)
    1990-ies is the Dark Age for Discmans but, finally, the Golden Age for the "real" CD spinners from Naim Audio, Theta Digital, Krell,...
    Now that we have Pono, A&K, and whatnot, and free software to rip CDs all this must be irrelevant, myguess...
    Except for the freaks like myself who listen to "classical music" allthetime and have yet another box of CDs delivered from Amazon every month...
    Then Sony D-7 or at least D-25 / D-555 is a Must for your office or bedside...
    But the Best Kept Secret in Discmans would be Technics SL-XP5!!! Much better than the first one, XP7 hunted by aficionados (Yes, They were weird by going backwards in the numbering) and Not serviceable by the only place on Earth still fixing Discmans (kaosuncd.com) but, Oh Boy! What a Sound!!! Juicy, Powerful, grips Senn HD-600 as good as Pono in balanced mode without the need of "ripping".... Love it!

Brutus442 likes this.
  17. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

the denon, philips, apple where one of the best discman, all made in 1991. sony's best were the 1993 ones

18. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

One of Sony Discmans from 1993 is D-121, I was not impressed by it. It was also reviewed, among other Discmans, at Head-Fi and also here.

These last two+ years I am updating a list of Discmans: PCDP Components and I do not see anything special about this model. IMHO the last great Sony was D-J50 from 1991, sold here at some ridiculous price :hmmm

19. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Jorge, I've got maybe three or four CD boomboxes, what's the word on the those for nice ones? mrp32Dave, that's a monster collection! I always loved the older square units, I've only found two over the years.

20. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Frankly, I have no idea!! I really love Philips CD555 Sound Machine, its restoration described here by @Virgil Gheorghiu
    But there is No Way I am going to buy one, unless it has been restored by Virgil!!!

Virgil Gheorghiu likes this.