1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some of the SONY's most elegant players (re-post)

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by walkman archive, Mar 9, 2017.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Hello members,

I'm back to show you some other pieces of my collection. This time I want to join many of the most elegant, high-class walkmans SONY ever made.

I believe they are some of the best sounding players ever, although they are not the most advanced or featured.

All them are made of full metal, superb finish and excellent building quality, made for last over time. In fact, all the players you see in the photo work great and sound better. And no one needed a new belt or something, but all them have the famous "click" (except DD9).

Hope you enjoy

SONY Walkman DD Series 09.jpg
    SONY Walkman DD series 04.jpg
    SONY Walkman DD series 06.jpg
    And the members of this exclusive group of first-class walkmans are:

SONY WM-DC2

A true gem, with excellent sound quality. Probably the second or third best sounding player ever made, just behind the DC6 and DD9.

Its Dolby C system is one of the best ever too, that only cuts the hiss and not the high frecuencies. It only lacks a bass amplification system, but with an external EQ sounds extraordinay well.
    SONY Walkman WM-DC2 01.jpg

SONY DD100 aka BOODO KHAN

One of the most legendary walkmans, and it's also the first model to have a bass amplification system, that later derived on the widely-known MegaBass system.

It came with a big, high quality headphones and its name refers to one of the most famous concert halls of Japan. More info here.

SONY Walkman WM-DD100 BOODO KHAN.jpg

SONY WM-DD30

A classic. Excellent build quality and sound. Pretty much the same as a Boodo Khan but with MegaBass.

It came in three colors: black, silver and red, and I find the latest one the most beautiful. More info about this beautiful walkman in my website, here.

SONY Walkman WM-DD30 Red 04.jpg

SONY WM-DD33

The classic DD30, modernized with curved lines, a new volume control and new megabass EQ. It also came in three colors, and the blue one is the rarest.

SONY Walkman WM-DD33 Blue 01.jpg

and last but not least, the superb WM-DD9, the only one DD walkman with two motors and Auto-reverse:

SONY Walkman WM-DD9 04.jpg

This thing feels VERY solid and seems to be built to last for very long time. Every detail is carefully chosen to give the user a similar feel than with a high-quality deck.

Surprisingly, it's the bigger walkman of all DD line but it's powered with only one AA.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Elite-ist, retro and buzbox like this.
  2. bub

bub Active Member

Fantastic Collection! I especially like your DD30 and 33.
    I find the DC2 to be an outstanding player- it really does got up there with the D6C. The 33 doesn't have the same excitable sound- accurate, yes, but not special.
    I'm still on the lookout for a DD9. The prices are insane.

walkman archive likes this.
  3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Great collection of excellent high quality Walkmans. and i see the best walkman photography specifically the first 3 pictures that can be used for desktop background .
    Hugo please continue this topic with you other great walkmans

4. walkman archive

Thank you. There are not big differences between the DC2 and the DD33. Yes, the DD33 is one step down but both score very high indeed, isn't it?
    The DD9 is insane, totally agree.

Thanks, Boodo. I also have some desktop backgrounds to download in my website, did you see them?
    Well, yes, I'll continue. These is one of the many post I published in the old forum years ago (between 2012-2014) but I'll re-post them.

5. bub

bub Active Member

I think the DC2 has a far better head (more hyperbolic, laser amorphous.) The DD33 seems to have a cheaper permalloy head and for some reason, the amps have a different sound signature.

6. walkman archive

Yes, that's it. Better head, better amp and better Dolby, but not waay better though. I think the DC2 and D6C are much more valuable than the DD9. Their value/sound is almost 3-5 times better.
    The DD30 and DD33 are also excellent for the money :)

7. Edd

Edd Member

Nice collection! I'm sure I'm telling you what you already know but for a pub quiz fact Boodo Khan I think was the Japanese phonetically writing Bogd Khan which in Mongolian means 'big king' (or big leader depending on how you want to say it. Also the name of the very important spiritual mountain next to ulaanbaatar)Obviously a great homage to the machine. Do tell me if you know the name means otherwise but several years living in Mongolia may just have paid off!

8. walkman archive

I didn't have any idea of the meaning of these words, but it makes total sense. I hope some japanese members here can put some light on this...
    Thanks for the info.

9. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Boodokhan logo on DD100 is in Chinese language.

10. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

I am a bit biased towards silver walkman, but I found the first DD to be one of the most elegant: simple, slick, retro (by today's standard) and shiny !

IMG_0863.jpg

As a player is not bad, very rich bass, very "analogue" sound.

11. walkman archive

Yes, the original DD, although it is very old it sounds quite well. Maybe not with the crisp treble that the DC2 or the DD30 has, but quite well yet.
    I have several serviced by Marian and they are quite nice.

12. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Older DD's do sound a bit soft, definitely less crispy and bright than, say, a later DD33.
    That is fine on the DD, but the DDIII with Dolby, at least mine, has some problem with encoded tapes: levels are correct but the already soft HF are killed by the dolby decoder as they are weaker than what they should be. Azimuth is correct, head looks fine and both DD/DDIII sound similar with the same tape. Not sure if they both aged in the same way or that is how they were originally designed.
    Appearence-wise, the older DD's (silver ones) beat the later DD33 with ease.