1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some oooold Portable CD Players

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by Mister X, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I was picking through one of my boxes that's been in storage forever and found these little gems. The Realistic CD-3100 is one of my favorites with flat buttons and the brushed metal cover. The unit is pretty heavy and looks contemporary in design with a 1987 production date. The black plastic holder is removable and holds the batteries for portable playing. The Sony D-5 CD Player needs no introduction, an early 1985 unit this one has no accessories. Without a scale, I'd say the Realistic is just a tad heavier.

DSCN0487SM.jpg

Ball000 likes this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Beautiful units

3. Ball000

Ball000 Member

I remember dreaming of that Realistic model on the Tandy-RadioShack catalog during the short period this company had shops in France. I really did find it a lot more modern than the Sony's proposal of the time... Actually I must say I still do like it very much! Thank you for showing it!

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

5. Mister X

wow, yep, that's it. I don't think either Citizen or Realistic were the builders, I'm thinking Toshiba by the looks, but I'd have to open it up. I didn't fire it up yet, but maybe in the next few days I could see if it still works. It's pretty minty so I have to believe it will fire right up.

I was trying to figure out how I missed your thread Jorge, I should have posted to the Walkman Thread, sorry I didn't see you guys discussing the Citizen

6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Mine looked Mint but was cold dead. I have a bunch of photos from my restoration effort, if needed.
    Citizen made their own Discmans, you can see here that by parts composition it is closer to Sony than Toshiba.
    Here is another Citizen beauty, CBM777:
    L1070565sm.JPG

L1070569sm.jpg

7. Mister X

That Citizen is very nice looking, way ahead of it's time. I'd love to have the board room minutes when they are discussing the design features of these units.