1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY PS-F9

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by PHILIP[, Jul 9, 2017.

1. PHILIP[

PHILIP[ Member

I have recently purchases from a seller in the Netherlands aSony PS-F9 . I had noticed that the plastic of the player i some of the pictures appeared to have yellowed .I took this up with the seller and he sent me some more pictures which seemed to be in order so i went ahead and made a bid which was successful . I also asked the Seller if the item would be safely sent by insured post as the the cost of postage was high and he assured me it would

I was successful and was delighted to win the bid However when the item arrived the packing left much to be desired .The parcel was crushed and there ws no bubble wrap but the item was simply placed inside two pieces of styrofoam. When took the player out of the packet .the first thing I noticed was that the plastic had indeed yellowed especially compared to another I have which I bought knowing it was not working .I was further dismayed to find that when I put batteries in the machine it was not working either and it was sold as in working condition I took off the cover and tried to play it again and this time there was some movement of the needle and the disc was turning .I then pressed the automatic load mechanic and noticed that the disc was not fully engaged .the red date was stopping short od the Hold wording on the automatic disc /cirle .I also noticed that if you then touched the disc at the bottom upwards tie red dot moved on to the hold position and it operated properly and played the dic as normal Sometimes it would work properly but if you loaded another disc the player would not work again unless you touchd the bottom of the disc again

I have raise the problem with the yellow colouring and the problems with the operation of the machine but as yet i have had no reply and I have since noticed that the seller only became a member on 30th june 2017 and is not selling any other items and i fear i will hear no more

However as these machines are hard to find i would rather keep it than seek a refund ,I am wondering if any one can help me to save the following :

1 ) Is it possible to solve /repair the fault in respect of loading the disc automatically?

2) As I mentioned above I have another machine which is not working but is in very good cosmetic condition.Is it possible to swop the plastic front and back covers to improve the looks of the machine I bought ,

3) The other machine I have is not working at all No light comes on and it appears that the motor is not working Can it be repaired and /or is it possible to replace the motor?

Any help or comments would be be appreciated.Philip taylor

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Its really disappointing when you receive a valuable unit in such a crappy package.
    I have had many items in the last few years broken during shipment. I received a boombox from Europe broken due to the fact seller didn't separate the speaker from main unit to wrap them separately. I also remember when i bought a collection of Sony radios inside a glass display frame (4 mini radios inside the display glass frame). The seller placed a cardboard on top and bottom of the frame and sent it without any box or wrap (sent from Canada) and amazingly the glass was not broken when i received it

anyway, PS-f9 is hard to find and is not cheap
    In my opinion report this issue to seller and ask seller to pay for the damages happened due to unsafe packaging
    If the seller doesn't agree report it to eBay and send the unit back

Its good to have a back up for your PS-F9 but the price you pay for a non-functional one should be reasonable.
    I have a nice PS-F5 and found a backup unit for it, both functional.

3. PHILIP[

PHILIP[ Member

Thanks for your sympathetic reply .i have report the packing and operation issues to the seller but as yet I have heard nothing As the unit is working and I only paid just over £600 I really do not want to return it so i shall wait and see what happens for the minute.The other unit which is not operating cost me I recall £150 but is in very good cosmetic condition and i always live in hope it can be repaired I also have two boxed Ps-5 both in working condition which cost me more in fact than I paid for the PS-F9 and apart from possibly a few Walkman they are the most expensive items I have bought online . I still hope some one may have some ideas how to cure the loading problem

4. PHILIP[

PHILIP[ Member

By the way I am amazed that the radios in the glass frame survived That wold not happen with our Royal Mail I am certain .I doubt if they would even have accepted the item in that state for posting

5. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

YOU GOT @ PS-5 boxed???? :hi
    boxed items are my biggest weakness :biggrin:. from now on i will be working on how to convince you to sell them to me :lollegs:

you can fix both PS-F9. as i said its good to have a back up unit

i will post the some pictures of sony glass frame later

6. davebush

davebush Active Member

you could retro bright the yellowing plastic....i did on a ps-f5 couple of years ago....i have also done it on boxes with good results P1040277.JPG P1040273.JPG

7. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Retro Bright is good stuff .

8. PHILIP[

PHILIP[ Member

Thanks for that info re Retro Bright .I am in UK .do you know where you can buy it and how easy is it to apply ?

9. davebush

davebush Active Member

you dont buy it you make it....lots of different peaople do it differently......above all the most important ingredient is sunshine...

this is what i do 1 cup full of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRUZONE-C...104a26b3aa0b1988802053&pid=100506&rk=1&rkt=1&

1 spoon of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vanish-Cr...562318&hash=item23887ef8b5:g:JsgAAOSwbiFZXjwz

Mix it together and apply with a small paint brush and then put it out in the SUN......ALL day if you can

no sunny.. no worky

some people add glycerine to thicken it up but i never use it......then wash off at the end of the day

10. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

and remember, works best if you put it in a sealable bag, and return to it every hour to massage the paste around and change its aspect to the sun so as to ensure even coverage.

11. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The 8 bit guy has done a couple of Youtube videos on this.

Vanish is a Laundry product available in most UK Supermarkets.

I like the idea of using Cream Peroxide, and the link is a useful tip as to where to buy it.
    I think the people adding glycerine rtc are using liquid Hydrogen Peroxide which is like water.

Being a hair product you can probably buy either type of Peroxide at a hairdressers supply place.
    Just don't try to buy too much at once as it has other more sinister uses.

12. PHILIP[

PHILIP[ Member

Thank you everyone for sending through the helpful information for making Retro Bright .I did in fact look it up on the internet and found some of the various recipes .Someone used ultra violet light instead of sunshine and another person microwaved the solution to thicken it up using cornstarch and peroxide and then adding a small amount of Oxi (i think it was ) However I am a little worried about trying this out first time on my PS-9 in view of the amount I paid but i will try it out on some other things first
    Thanks again everyone

Ps Does any one know how to solve the problem with the loading of discs ?