1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Walkman WM-F2097 motor question.

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Antony3000, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Antony3000

Antony3000 New Member

S1050109.JPG S1050110.JPG Hello,
    I bought a Sony Walkman WM-F2097 because I like these old models.
    Without even trying it I started to take it apart to change the belt and after arriving at the mechanics (which is not easy) soon I noticed that the motor shaft was very difficult to turn with fingers.
    I had to use pliers to start turning the motor shaft slowly!
    Thinking that it could be partially blocked by belt debris I dipped it 3 times in a liquid rubber degreasing solution, and I got a big improvement.
    But the motor shaft still does not turn completely free, but it is still partially not free to turn.
    Now I ask the question:
    May be that in this specific type of motor it is "normal" that the motor shaft does not rotate completely free?
    Is there anyone in this forum who noticed the same anomaly?
    Thank you

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I have seen this problem with different models specially TCM-600. Apply few drops of lubricant and try to run the motor either manually or by battery power. You might need to repeat this few times

Sly. likes this.
  3. Antony3000

Antony3000 New Member

Thank you very much Boodokhan for the answer,
    I used contact cleaner that have in the formula some % of oil and it seems that the motor shaft is a little better to rotate.
    In the WM-F2097 there is not an easy way to try the work done and to try the motor without reassemble the board.
    It's necessary to reassemble the board and then re-solder 3/4 flat cable.
    Before to reassemble all, I want have a resonable certains that it will be not necessary to disassemble the WM-F2097 again!

4. Harryl89

Harryl89 New Member

If you can‘t get the motor back to work I can offer a spare motor out of a EX 50, should be the same.

Boodokhan likes this.
  5. Antony3000

Antony3000 New Member

I will see in next days..... when I'll decide to reassemble all. Thanks

6. bub

bub Active Member

I know precisely why this happens: if you disassemble the motor, the motor core has either cracked, corroded, or exploded all over the place. Worst reliability motors. Only solution is to find one that is still intact. I've seen this too many times to count.
    Basically, your motor is toast.

And even then, the clutch gear is likely broken (look up my WM-150 thread). And on top of that, your takeup reel gear is cracked, and will only get worse if you do not modify it.

7. Antony3000

Antony3000 New Member

Thanks very much for your reply,

I think you made an exact diagnosis.
    Unfortunately in this period I do not have much time to solve this malfunction of the WM-F2097.
    In the past few days I found a not-working Sony WM-FX491 in a market of old things but with a good motor very similar to that of the WM-F2097.
    I hope to find the time to apply myself on the problem.

8. bub

bub Active Member

That FX491 motor is unlikey to be compatible. Your best bet is to find another WM-170/2091/2097 series with a good motor.

9. Antony3000

Antony3000 New Member

Hi to all,
    I disassembled the motor to be sure about the real situation and effectively there are not chances to repair it.
    Like you can see in the photos, the motor magnet is very degraded.
    The WM-F2097 need a new motor.

S1050236.JPG

S10502361.jpg

Boodokhan likes this.