1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony wm 6d

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by davebush, Oct 6, 2017.

1. davebush

davebush Active Member

Heres a brainteaser for you all..

i have the unit stripped down

the unit will work on a dc input The voltage measured at the dc plug is 8 volts

the unit will not work on batteries 5-6 volt

if i put a 6volt supply to the battery terminals it will play for 5 seconds then stop

The unit will work when i put a 8 volt supply from my bench psu to the battery terminals of the unit

any help please

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

I haven't come across this problem before but I'm wondering if you have a leaky electrolytic cap, on one of the power rails, which is now behaving like a resistor.
    Before you go any further, please check C605, which is on the 2.2V rail. If this is leaking and dragging the 2.2V rail down then you could easily damage the CX20024 chip on the CP602 servo unit. The CX20024 contains the regulator which derives the 2.2V rail from the 11V Rail. This chip cannot be replaced and if you damage it you will end up with a doorstop.

I see that you are using a bench PSU; how much current is it drawing? When I run a D6 on a bench PSU at 6V, it normally draws around 120mA if playing through a pair of active desktop speakers.

3. davebush

davebush Active Member

Thanks Deb...great advice....ill have a go and report back...thank you

not sure how much current its drawing ...ill have a look next

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017