1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spit shine ;P

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Antoni, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

I think, this question belongs in here :shrug:

I recently bought a cassette player which needs a badly needed polish, can anyone suggest a polish for plastic? :blabla

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

As a member of IPMS, I certify this as a million-dollar question!! ;)
    I will post some photos of my collection, but you cannot go wrong with this set: Novus
    Do you have Dremel or some small hand-held rotary tool? I am "old skool" but if you prefer Dremel I can suggest buffing pads safe for plastic

Boodokhan likes this.
  3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

In the past i used toothpaste and buffing with cotton balls and the results were good
    Then I found out about Novus products and it really works fine. Make sure to follow the instruction comes with the package.
    I used rotary tool Dremel and all I can tell is try it on some plastic before trying to shine your walkman. applying the appropriate pressure while using dremel is very important. basically you just let the buffing pad gently touch the plastic and do not apply pressure.
    @Jorge Can you recommend any specific buffing pads/ link? thanks

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Boodokhan These are buffing wheels safe for plastic and acryl:
    L1120354.JPG
    I prefer the ones on the left, I think here is the same thing (but you have to get a better chuck). And here are the wheels with chuck attached.
    Novus is a King, but here is my collection which follows the advises of professional modellers o_O
    L1120360.JPG
    Once I tried Turtle Polishing Compound (the one on the right), everything else went into storage...

Deb64 and Boodokhan like this.
  5. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

So, buffing wheels plus turtle wax then?

6. Brandon

Brandon Member

I use a brass cleaner rag for units with light scratches . I used to use Novus for my arcade machines which is pretty good . see below results with brass cleaner.

Attached Files:

• s1.jpg
      s1.jpg
      File size:
      58.2 KB
      Views:
    • s2.jpg
      s2.jpg
      File size:
      68.1 KB
      Views:
    Antoni and Jorge like this.
  7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Actually, no... I was just answering @Boodokhan question about my preferred Dremel tools.
    I prefer the old-fashioned way of polishing by hand, here is my collection of sanding blocks and sticks:
    L1120356.JPG
    The one I recommend for Walkmans is at far right, you can get it for under a buck here.
    Use it wet and it will last forever. After polishing with "side-4/shine nail" you won't even need polishing paste!
    Micro mesh pads go all the way up to some insane grits, but for polishing Walkmans its an overkill, if needed use polishing paste.
    Brass cleaner mentioned by @Brandon or Blue Magic, I do not think it matters much. The only reason I selected out Turtle Wax is because it is the most neutral paste and according to professional modelers it won't attack any paint. Its a big thing when modeling but most probably won't matter on a 30+ year old scratch and touch-resistant Walkmans paint.

Boodokhan, Brandon and Antoni like this.