Stereo Sony Microcassette Recorders. Another grail found!

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by stuck-in-time, Apr 13, 2019.

1. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Been looking for one of these for ages, and as usual, the rare ones come in quick sucession! Found these 2 units locally within a few days, and for really cheap too. Just under $12 in total. The M-1PD was advertised as "motor running but cassette not turning", just a simple belt change. The M-1000 was your typical seller's optimistic "I'm guessing it works.

1 (1).JPG 1 (2).JPG

The Sony M-1PD turns out to be in a very good condition. Just needs a new belt and a fix of the typical cracked capstan gear that seems to be the Achilles heel of this mechanism (M7, M9, etc). I don't even need to clean the body that much. Almost unused, it seems.

2 (2).JPG 2 (1).JPG

2 (3).JPG 2 (4).JPG

The M-1000 is in much rougher condition, but just as easily fixed. Just slightly harder to reach the belts.

3 (4).JPG 3 (1).JPG

3 (2).JPG 3 (3).JPG

Regarding the capstan gear problem, this has been discussed before in a thread but I'll post this here a future reference. The crack is caused by the shrinking of the plastic part, similar to the DD gear. A quick and very simple fix would be to remove the gear and enlarge the hole just a tiny bit. Now you can glue/epoxy the gear back to the flywheel. (Left pic is the cracked gear, right pic is a fixed one using black epoxy)

4 (1).JPG 4 (2).JPG

As a bit of comparison, here's the M-1PD and M-7 open side by side to show the difference between a mono and stereo unit.

5.JPG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. Simon

Simon Active Member

Great price for the M-1PD! Well done! And thank you for the info on the capstan gear, I have had a couple of this model. Not yet encountered this issue with mine but I probably will one day! I do have the issue with my DD model and have purchased Marions replacement gear but I have not had the guts to risk damaging my favorite Walkman to swap the gear out so I live with the clicking for now.

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I love seeing microcassette scores, there's something facinating about them. I'm looking for an M-1PD for a reasonable price but they are non-existant around here, I've got a few of the M-1000's but the real grail is the M-1000B, the Birding Edition. I was just getting ready to post some newer players but I ran out of time, maybe in the next few days. Good hunting, hopefully we'll see some more.

4. stuck-in-time

Replacing the DD gear is quite easy once you get the hang of it :ok

For the moment I'll be content with my M-1000 and be more on the lookout for an M-80.

The M-1000 Sounds good, but has a constant buzz that increases with volume. I've cleaned the volume pot and record switch, any ideas?

5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

If it is increasing with volume then it is pickup prior to the volume control.

A few ideas

A bad ground
    A dried out capacitor in the motor drive.

Does it vary with motor speed ? (Slow the motor down with your fingers)
    If you have the means to disconnect the motor the buzz still there?

6. stuck-in-time

Thanks! I'll check on those the next time I get the opportunity to open it up. So far, I have not tried recapping anything though.