1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for a WM-DD1

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by enryfox, Aug 8, 2017.

1. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

I'm looking to buy a WM-DD1, I somehow like its look and the fact that it is a sort of underdog in the DD family.

I know it does not have the central gear and uses a belt instead; I know it might have caps problems (which I guess can be fixed), is there any other known issue with this model that might not be easy to fix ?

Some units are sold as "no audio", is it just the caps or other component (or the head flat cable) are prone to breaking ?

thanks

2. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

sometimes its as simple a fault as the headphone socket needs a resolder.... if you are lucky.

3. lxndio

lxndio New Member

The DD1 is the model of Walkman I know the best from taking it apart, putting it back together, taking it apart again and so on...

Usually the rubber capstan ring needs to be replaced. It is a rubber ring which is glued on a flywheel driving the capstan. The motor presses against that rubber ring and therefore moves the capstan.
    In all DD1s I've had yet, this ring was broken which leads into a very high wow and flutter. However, that is replaceable and you can buy those rings on eBay.
    Also, I'd replace the belt which is driving the winding mechanism (however those belts were fine in all my DD1s and don't influence the playback, unless they are entirely broken).

I do also always replace the capacitors which can be a little tricky because they are all SMD parts. But if you ask kindly, I'd probably do that for you. If the SMDs are old, playback can be very silent and in the worst case, the capacitors can burst and let acid flow onto the PCB which makes it nearly irreparable.

Good thing is, the DD1 can easily be taken apart for maintenance (in my opinion, easier than the DD3 because of the fewer soldering joints you have to undo).
    Only one DD1 I've had yet couldn't be repaired because of a faulty IC on the circuit board which is not available as a replacement part. Broken ICs should be pretty rare, though.

~lxndio

4. bub

bub Active Member

5. lxndio

lxndio New Member

6. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Thanks for all the info, I actually lost the auction for a red DD1 and I have to wait for another one to appear.
    I'm familiar with the DD family, i've taken apart my DD's quite a few times. The fact that the DD1 and successors were meant to be cheaper than regular DD's worried my they might be using fragile or low quality components not easy to find or replace (the fact that some capacitors have gone invariably bad is an indication that Sony was not using high quality components).
    When i will get one i will open it up and see what needs to be replaced. Some german actions in the description say "it clicks": is it google translator or is there a component which might get noisy over time ?

7. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

8. lxndio

lxndio New Member

Phrases like "klicken" (clicking) are usually found in auctions for DD3 Walkmans because you hear this clicking sound when the center gear is broken, as it is in most of those.

Edit: The DD1 does luckily not have a center gear which can break. It can however sound a little bit like the DD3 clicking if the rubber capstan I've mentioned is broken and the motor rattles around because it is not having tight contact to the rubber ring.

The DD1 is not quite as good in terms of sound quality as the DD3 but it is not built from cheap materials either. I actually find the playing mechanism very clever. In my opinion, even though it is built to be cheaper, it is much more reliable and easier to maintain.

Capacitors leaking after that period of time is not very unusual and does not refer to cheap capacitors. I can do and Sony most certainly did use cheap capacitors but, you know. It also depends on the time the capacitors worked because electrolytic capacitors are built to last a specific time of operation.

If you can take apart a DD3, you'll be able to take apart a DD1 quite easily.

9. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

The DD1 does not have the central gear; despite the name, besides the Disc Drive capstan it has very little else in common with the standard DD line.
    If the clicking noise is just the rubber ring of the capstan, it is not a problem, i have a few spare i can use. I was afraid other plastic gears might break due to age ...

I'm not a big fan of DD (meant as Wm-2 derivatives) tape transport either: it is very delicate and the FFW and REW gears are prone to misalignment. Regarding capacitors, out of ten walkman's i have, only one AIWA required a complete recap, all others (mostly SONY) still works with their original components. Good quality capacitors last for quite some time, those that degrade after 10/15 years were originally cheaper .

But anyway, who in the late 80's would have thought a walkman would be used for more than 5/6 years ?

10. Machaneus

That's correct Ixndio DD I is a totally different beast than the DD and probably Enryfox knows about the other clicking :biggrin:.
    Nevertheless it can be heard a clicking sound on DD I when the rubber disk has an indentation from prolonged contact with the end of the axle of the motor accompanied with terrible wow&flutter. Also expect problems in the audio section from leaking capacitors as it seems to rule to my collection.

Edit :If you see a paradox its because the two replies were send simultaneously.:shock

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  11. lxndio

lxndio New Member

I couldn't have said that better :)

Good thing about the DD1 is that you can get fitting capacitors easily. The miniature through hole capacitors on the DD3 are very hard to get in those tiny sizes, especially the small heights. At least here in Germany.

Edit: couldn't, not could

Machaneus likes this.
  12. Machaneus

It seems it was a supplier problem around 1990 ,I have seen expensive Sony video cameras from that period with almost every capacitor leaking, the video Walkmans (especially 1st gen) if you see them on ebay very rarely you can see one working.
    I understand a capacitor to dry out over the years due to chemical reactions inside the capacitor after many years but leaking must be simply bad quality of the rubber seal underneath the capacitor .I don't recall to have a leaking capacitor problem to my early 80's and mid 90's to date Sony walkmans.

13. Machaneus

That's what I read in the first place !:)

And that's what I should have read before giving advises about the center gear.:biggrin:

14. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

My AIWA walkman needing recapping is from 1994, but there was actually no leak, they have just dried out and capacity was null. The DD1 is from 1987 so i guess low quality capacitors were introduced in the late 80's at the height of the walkman boom. Anyway my DD's, ranging from 1984 to 1991, do not have capacitor issue, so i guess Sony knew where to get the good ones :)

Speaking of long lasting capacitors, i have an old Philips R2R from 1963 and it is still working with its original caps ! I have it recently checked and there is no need to replace them, they are all still within specs. I have to say the R2R has very little hours (i guess less than 50 hours of use in its 50+ years of life) so the components have not been heavily stressed.

Going back to the DD1, i see on eBay the pinch roller sold as a spare part: is the origina one prone to hardening or loss of geometry ?

15. lxndio

lxndio New Member

Not that I would know. That never caused a problem in my Walkmans, just the rubber ring.

If you swap the rubber ring it is just important to remove all the residue from the flywheel and when glueing on the new ring, make sure it is absolutely flat (I always use two-component adhesive).