1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technics RS-B655 Stereo Cassette Deck Service & Clean - 22 February 2017

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by nickeccles, Feb 22, 2017.

1. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Today was time to really service & clean my machine that makes all my recordings for my boomers to play :wink:

Technics build quality meant nothing more than a squirt of servisol in the level control, the bias & the headphone pots - So well made I just love this era of Technics decks!

Direct drive so no belts, a top quality tape transport makes for stunning recordings on new cassettes, I like to keep the fresh new recordings rather than erase tapes :laugh:

A deep head & roller clean followed - it needed this badly, roller was brown & heads dirty - I should have done this a year ago when I bought it!!

Finally a clean of the case & front panel.........these have such a beautiful display with long peak hold meters! I think quality cassette decks ended in the mid to late 90's :shock such a shame as I love good quality audio & these things make stunning recordings on BASF Chrome using Dolby B, loads of headroom to push those levels up to!!

She is back on top of the CD player now & recording once again :wink:

Technics RS-B655 Stereo Cassette Deck Service & Clean - 22 February 2017 (1).jpg Technics RS-B655 Stereo Cassette Deck Service & Clean - 22 February 2017 (2).jpg Technics RS-B655 Stereo Cassette Deck Service & Clean - 22 February 2017 (3).jpg Technics RS-B655 Stereo Cassette Deck Service & Clean - 22 February 2017 (4).jpg Technics RS-B655 Stereo Cassette Deck Service & Clean - 22 February 2017 (5).jpg Technics RS-B655 Stereo Cassette Deck Service & Clean - 22 February 2017 (6).jpg

2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

You know technics is one of my fave brands lad, i think everything should of had no belts as i find them such a pita do do unless it's an m90 lol.

Great job and great deck, i need to buy me one as iv never had a deck with no belts:wink:

3. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

These Technics areall very good, though I've never liked the brown finish.
    I'm lucky to have the top B965 in champagne finish which is great, but required a lot of work to sound truly good.
    Alex from ANT Audio says that these Technics have the potential but they are plagued with wrong components that ruin the sound, making it sound lifeless... ( i'm talking from my high end point of view)
    The calibration possibilities are excellent and the meter range is awesome!

nickeccles and Radio Raheem like this.
  4. nickeccles

This range was the best imo - was going to go for a 9 series model but mine is more than good enough for recording my boomer tapes - I hated the later models, these were the best & so nice to use

5. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I know very few decks from this brand but I like this particular generation. Yours have almost the same features by looking to the front face, except dbx and maybe a few things more.

nickeccles likes this.
  6. nickeccles

I am very familiar with all technics decks from around 1980 onwards & have rebelted many of them!

The electronics just don't go wrong on them up until the mid 90's when costs were cut & that horrid so called 'Mid deck' trend came along..............

My last RS-255 X from 1982 had dbx & one of the first decks I saw to have a real time counter too - beautifully made & packed with electronics to the hilt!! What a machine :wink:

Technics RS 255 X Cassette Deck - August 2015 (20).jpg Technics RS-255X Repair - June 2016.jpg

7. sickly_b

sickly_b Active Member

Great timing with your (excellent) article!

- I just spotted this exact model in a local charity shop - original box and manual - should there be a remote?

anyway, couldn't believe my luck - £15 later and I'm enjoying it at home

great to learn a bit more about the deck from you

cheers!

nickeccles likes this.