1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Bell + Howell Sound Machine, what boomboxes might have looked like

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I found some of the old ads for the 1971 Bell+Howell Sound Machine a couple weeks ago and thought it was a nice attempt at a portable cassette player. I had never seen or heard one of these but I was looking for something else and noticed one on the bay for sale. Even the seller notes there's very little actual machine photos or information available so I thought I'd post this listing for future generations of boombox information collectors. This Ames or Wright inspired design might have been the future of boomboxes or what we call the past. I love the way it looks like they took an off the shelf tape recorder and mounted it in the cabinet, it would be nice to know what and how the speaker is mounted. It looks like there's two versions, square and round. Bell + Howell used to be a fairly visible brand, I remember a lot of tape recorders and 8mm projectors. My first Apple Computer was a Bell + Howell II+, B&H actually made the exact computer for Apple, I think so they could get the school market, but the B&H Version was black instead of off-white. Now the name just shows up on late-night informercials

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BE...190777?hash=item1c5c928639:g:lTcAAOSwYGFUvrHl

bh.jpg
    bh2.jpg

And the round version from that great site Museum of Magnetic Sound Recording.
    http://museumofmagneticsoundrecording.org/ManufacturersBellandHowell.html

BellHowellBBB2.jpg

Jorge and Mystic Traveller like this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Wow they are both groovy looking machines, never seen them before

3. Mister X

I think at the time they still had a lot of money floating around. It looks like their original focus was movie cameras and this was an offshoot....

The design looks top-notch, wood cases with metal grills and leather tops, it's a mid-century modernistic lovers dream boombox...

4. Mister X

Here's the only ad that circulates around the internet, it looks like he has some random tape recorder and she has the fashizzle.

bced5fbc6d108119003a767af4504ad8--vintage-advertisements-vintage-ads.jpg

Jorge and Mystic Traveller like this.
  5. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Yep, neither have I.

Was it a compact cassette format player already? or some other format of cassette?

6. Mister X

I think that's an off the shelf standard recorder that every family in the US had in the 70's. Kids would burp and fart while recording it and play it back and think that was the greatest thing ever. Absolutely nothing special about the deck but it really didn't need to be, it looks like the unit only has one speaker, maybe firing up?

7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

My Boss tried to force me into buying $1,500 record player console from the 30-ies, with extra bamboo needles and a pack of 78-s... I did not bulge, but with this Thing I would have collapsed... Esp if the original ad were included! :)
    Every single ad in Stereophile with a girl in the picture fall between awful and horrible, this one here is at least funny: Seven Year Itch in the long-forgotten age of minis?

8. Mister X

Your boss ended up tossing that POS console out to the curb and I just happened to have a pick up that day...

74a4afce3060efff72a28accf045cc9e.jpg

Jorge likes this.
  9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

oh, my! B&O is cheap knock-off compared to this beauty!!! Love it!!!

10. Mister X

The old JBL Cabinets looked amazing and are getting serious dough now but B&O's are pretty cool, they also have the Danish Post Modern look to them. I've got a complete Beomaster 2400 System, except for the speakers. Richard Gere made these famous in the late 70's....

bo-24001.jpg

11. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I keep trying to think why Bell & Howell is so familiar when I have never owned any of their kit.
    My guess is that they were the sort of brand Schools and Businesses always bought, an AV
    equivalent to IBM. You have probably heard the expression "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM"
    and the same was probably true of Bell & Howell.

Regarding Mystics query here is some interesting reading which states that the Compact Cassette reigned from 1965 to 1990.

http://vintagecassettes.com/_history/history.htm

However, until around 1971 the standard for a cassette recorder was a small shoebox type, not unlike the very first the EL3300.
    Perfectly good for dictation (which is what it was designed for) and recording Grannies tales but not much else.

12. Mister X

Bell & Howell was really big into projectors and the square mono tape decks everyone in the US had. The projectors were the standard for most schools and most homes had a nice little 8mm setup for the little five minute reels of film footage.

Just about everyone had this projector, built like a tank and tons of them on the used market back in the 70's. This is an all metal, industrial wrinkle coated machine, it was hard to hurt them although the wiring did need to be checked often, I think it was cloth wrapped. The only other issue was the bulb life was short.

BH%20253%20AX.jpg

13. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

and here is something from much later involving "cassettes"

Before the days of Powerpoint this was one way of doing presentations
    (actually Powerpoint came before Video Projectors were available to anyone other than the likes of NASA).

14. Mister X

Slide's were cool Longman, we were still doing our college presentations well in to the 90's using slides!

15. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Until maybe five years ago art galleries asked for slides, I think they were trying to punish the artists submitting works for consideration. At some point it was beyond ridiculous!

I am trying to follow the advice from my Chicago-land dealer (ProMusica): If you want something pretty, buy a picture. But it is impossible not to like B&O!... so here is mine:
    BeoSound_1.jpg

Mister X and Mystic Traveller like this.
  16. Mister X

I found another ad for the Bell & Howell Boom Box! From 1971 this may be the earliest "Boom Box" find. This one is a little different with no radio yet.

Bell & Howell 1971.png

17. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

the tweeters in my speakers are bigger than that thing lol....also can't see no tape deck on it as advertised

Mister X likes this.
  18. Mister X

The last one posted must have been the first version from 1971, I think the other one came out in 73?

The good news is it has 10 times the booming bass!

19. Prmoon

Prmoon New Member

I found some of the old ads for the 1971 Bell+Howell Sound Machine a couple weeks ago

I HAD one of these new in 1973......It was amazing, small , the tape player was removable, the wood was real.
    The sound was fantastic on this little thing...but sadly someone else admired it as well, broke into my room and stole it.
    I've been trying to replace it ever since.....very hard to find.
    Cost me about $250 originally....

20. Prmoon

Prmoon New Member

The speakers were on top in the V shaped part under the top....it's been a while but at least 2 speakers
    Does anyone know what cassette player fit?