1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to repair a WM-D3 (TC-D3 in UK)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by wm_dan, Sep 21, 2017.

1. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

Hi guys

I won this on eBay for £17. It was advertised as not working. Mainly because it was in pause..

It did play a tape and sound great, but Rewind didn't work, but then after 10 mins it chewed up a tape. Not sure if that was anything to do with the rewind gear crack or just a dirty pinch roller.

So it needs a new DD gear which I've ordered, it also needs a counter belt which i've also ordered.

The door needs a good slam to stay closed, I think I can fix this

The rewind gear - which also drives the counter - has cracked, because it's cracked it expanded and won't mesh properly with it's drive gear.
    It was getting stuck.
    I removed it and super glued it really carefully (without the shaft in place so it shrunk back to its correct size) but I think the glue has still expanded it slightly and it still stuggles to mesh when trying to move the gear with the bigger gear using a light touch it gets stuck..

At this stage I think this may be a right off but ill have to let you know when its back together

I've repaired a DD before but not a recording one. This once was a really PIA due to the extra record mechanism parts in the way.

I guess if it does end up a right off I will still have a new DD gear for next time I find a cheap one.

Here are some pictures.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wish me luck !

2. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Very good luck!!

wm_dan likes this.
  3. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Yeah, may the force be with you on that one.....

4. 16s

16s Member

Just don't open your windows when it's windy outside otherwise it's gonna be a super guessing game

5. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

Haha since moved everything and re labeled everything whilst waiting for spares

6. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I'd advise putting any small parts/screws in empty ice trays, it's what I usually do.

7. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

With help of another member, I managed to get a tiny rewind gear that meshes correctly and doesn't jam but it's still cracked

I've ordered a 2.05 drill to help remove the stress of the metal shaft

Not really sure what glue to use, super glue seemed pretty useless on nylon

8. jacobsteel

jacobsteel New Member

nice pictures! thank you --- and best of luck! keep us posted.

As for tiny screws, I bought a cheap magnet board on Ebay (one of those with a grid on them), works nicely and the magnet holds tiny screws in place.

9. Will

Will New Member

Great pictures! Thank you. This'll save me a lot of time reassembling my D3.

Your obviousy putting a lot of Love in this repair. :D

10. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Yeah even if this doesn't work you have documented a process which may help hundreds of people down the line :thumbup:

11. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

Thanks so much for the encouragement, it really does help.........

Today I made a bit more progress regarding the rewind gear

I must thank forum members; mihokm, TooCool4 and A.N.T for help and advise.. I am not an electronics engineer or a mechanical engineer, so without their help this walkman would most definitely end up a paper weight

I had to make a plastic ring with 3.4 mm hole.. to re-inforce the gear.

Just by pot luck I found some almost perfect rings in old Technics cd player mechanisms.

Still waiting for a 2.05mm drill bit, But with the plastic ring in place and the shaft only pushed in 2-3mm for testing, the gear no longer jams :D :D

I was kindly sent a spare mechanism by TooCool4, but it then became obivous someone has been inside my D3 before... So I am still not out of the woods yet

If anyone would like me to make and send them the plastic ring with the 3.4mm hole I can do this and send to you free of charge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16s likes this.
  12. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

UPDATE:

Here I have pics and video of working mechanism.

I am still waiting for a 2.05 mm drill bit to finish the rewind gear repair

This is with a semi-repaired REWIND gear, 95% ok, but will repair my other spare ASAP, that repair should be 100% ok

So I am confident the mechanism is actually ok, despite been previously tinkered with.

However the circuit board has been folded and unfolded away from the mechanism about 10 times now. So I am worried I've possibly broken a wire. Will only know onces the board is screwed back down. I think I can probably find and fix a broken wire, if its broken at all.

ALSO - Anyone who can get that tiny spring (on the black lever which lifts the head and roller) by themselves should be a brain surgeon! Same with washer part number 114 (d3 record mech only!) My GF had to help me as I needed 3 hands!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Even if my walkman has other electrical issues and can no longer be used I hope my post will help other people as I have received plenty of help and advise myself

Regards

13. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Wow that is some impressive work.
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy beyond my capabilities... I can only hope to attain your skill level
    I salute you (0_0)7

14. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

Thank you but I cannot accept your kind words because I followed guides and advise mainly from Marian - the man is a genius

15. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

So the D3 is now back together and appears to be working 100%. I have played both sides of a 90 min tape without any issues at all.

It even records really well. It's obviously not as good as my D6C on recording or Playback but, I have a DD33, and really wouldn't say there is any difference on playback... but I heard the DD33 is not even high end.

Anyway I digress... Tips for anyone taking apart a D3...

Put some sticky tape over the pause button and the VU/Battery switch !!! Because these plastic switches slide about with 0 pressure, I almost snapped my VU switch off :(

Usual tips, take your time and do not force anything

Read Marians DD gear repair and preventive maintenance on here

Here is a vid of it. The rewind and FF are sometimes squeaky - but so is my DD33 is also the same (ONLY WITH A TAPE IN)

freesofia, Command8 and 16s like this.
  16. 16s

16s Member

1984:thumbsup:

17. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

The door closing issue was solved by

1. Stretch the door latch spring a bit to tighten the catch

2. The door actually needs bending in slightly at the bottom where it folds over 90 degrees. I taped up the bottom side where the 2 screws are to protect it
    Then got an adjustable spanner and very carefully and slightly bent it in the bottom smallest part so it is now a smaller angle then 90 degrees

My door closes and holds good with or without a cassette inside

18. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

Excellent work.
    I still need to update manual with WM-D3 specific instructions. It's plan for version 2.
    Does anyone know why this door closing issue happens so often with D3?

19. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

it probably just gets strained from been open and closed a lot

20. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

Note to self... if a screw previously had loctite on it from Sony.... Re-apply god damn new loctite!!! level 10 n00b error!!
    My take up real gear came loose!!