1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage field recorders

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Reflex85, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Reflex85

Reflex85 Member

I have been enjoying my old Marantz 340 field recorder and decided to pipe it through one of my better boomboxes and I was surprised how nice it sounded. I have been thinking about sending it in to be rebuilt (refreshed)and while searching the interweb for repair kits and such, I ran across several posts about the Sony TCD5 field recorder. Being curious, I checked ebay just to see what they are selling for and I was shocked that these things are selling for $700-1000.00. Someone please educate me on what is so special about the Sony TCD5, I am clueless.

2. A O

A O Active Member

The D5 was the preffered recorder for porffessionals for many reasons but the main reasons were the fact that it was rugged, reliable and basic. It was also very easy to fix as it used good old fashioned, high-quality methodology, something only Sony could champion.
    Once you'd mastered the recording balance between signal and noise the D5 would produce superb recordings. Also, don't rule out the WM-D6C which is also a sensational machine and aguably the greatest walkman ever made.

3. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Having recently got a TC-D5 i can say, it was smaller than i imagined, stunning looks and build quality and just felt very tactile and special and i instantly felt it was a quality unit.

It is in for repair with Sergi at the moment and i cannot wait to get it back.

4. A O

A O Active Member

Do you recall what was wrong with it T-Ster? Mine has developped an issue too, I initially suspected belt but I'm not so sure. I dare not look inside as I suspect it's built like a Concorde Engine. Also, when you get it back, it would be good to explore microphones. I've always wanted to get a nice pro directional mic for mine.

5. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Hey Ao,

Mine played and fast forward ok, rewind was a bit slow and the motor was a tiny bit noisy. I looked inside and it is packed, and i mean packed tight. I have done some tricky decks (successfully rebelted your m9998) but this i didnt even attempt. Its too nice a unit to ruin.