1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walkman Archaeology

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:34 PM.

1. Mister X

Mister X Member

Sotza posted some great information about Walkman Designers. I went down the hole and started searching Google Patents and found some really cool stuff. It's getting a little late here so I'll post a link to someones design for a strap on speaker system. Pretty cool and stupid at the same time!
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US4764962A/en?q=walkman&scholar

2. Mister X

Mister X Member

3. Chris

Chris Active Member

I agree with much of what is said there, it can sometimes seem like the headphone user is being anti-social by 'not willing to communicate' but if he or she is listening to music in public then they would most likely be talking to strangers anyway which is something many parents discourage their children from doing. Although I disagree that the headphone user is being 'dumb', 'childish', or 'narcissistic'. On the contrary, if a group of friends who are wearing headphone, listen to their music quietly, they are actually being polite members of society because they are focusing on their music rather than talking loudly amongst themselves and disturbing others.

He makes the point that it's very difficult to think and focus on other things when listening to music which is true, although if someone asks me a quick question and I happen to be using my Sony TPS-L2, I get around this by holding down the hotline button which lowers the music volume enough for me to think clearly (if someone wants to have a chat with me, I will turn the music off completely and take off my headphones so as not to appear rude).

Interesting read.

4. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

5. Mister X

Mister X Member